Map Overlays - What? How?

TomTom Model(s)
XL 325S
What is a map overlay, really? I read the description that you get on the TomTom Home software, but I don't really understand how you can use it and how you can make your own.

There is a convention in Atlanta called DragonCon which consists of four hotels. Is there a way that you can put the maps of the rooms and insides of the hotels in a TomTom? Do you use these map overlays for walking?

If you can, how do you make one? The TomTom Home software says that you have to get the latitudes and longitudes for the pictures. How do you get those?

Sorry, I just got my TomTom for Christmas and I want to personalize it as much as I can. Also, if I can make maps for the insides of the hotels and rooms, that would be cool.

Thanks

Indeed you could produce very detailed maps of the inside of a hotel and as long as you knew the Lat/ Long of each corner of each map tile it will work to a certain extent.

Its a heck of a lot of work to go to only to find the GPS reception inside the hotel is zero rendering all your hard work producing the maps useless. Try using the GPS in the hotels to see what reception is before you start any custom map creation - its possible but not a five minute task.

It might be possible to add your data to the Open Street Maps (OSM) project, then you will get the map tiles back and the necessary coordinates in a fairly easy way, OSM isn't difficult to use, see Here - Mike

Ask a Question