Map of Mexico quality

Just wondering if anyone has purchased the map of Mexico. I go to Mexico about twice a year, and almost always get lost at some point along the way. The route I normally take, also runs along the main drug traffic highway, and has been having some problems with violence, so it would be nice to have something to reassure me for my alternative routes. I need something that is fairly complete as my biggest problem is that the people I go to visit live in the smallest towns (usually not on maps) and often the road I used to get there last time is undergoing construction, taken over by brush, occupied by large numbers of cows, take your pick. I would like to have the Mexico map, but worry that I wouldn't be any better off. I go to north-central and central Mexico BTW if it helps any with the advice. Thanks for any input.

TT say's about 35% is covered.

TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems

Here's an idea

find a store that is selling the

340 S

140 S

and browse the map at the store.

those have the new USA_Canada_Mexico_P 830.2325 map.

that map is not even for sale yet !....

then if it has the information you need....you can buy just the Mexico map....or the USA & Mexico map.

Last edited:
I have purchased the new mexico maps that are now available for download at Tomtom. You get good coverage of the main roads. I traveled from Nuevo Laredo all the way to Acapulco going through Mexico City. Along the way, I see that maps for big cities have adecuate detail; Monterrey, Leon, Mexico City, Acapulco have aceptable levels of detail. However, there are directinal problems. Trust your instint; do not follow the GPS blindly. It has bad turns and streets blocked that do no show on the GPS. I made a lot of addition to points of interest; such as, toll booths, road bumps, police check points, and places I will be coming back to, bars and the likes.

Just getting a sense of knowing where you are at and how long it will take to be where you are going is the biggest plus. It is really worth the price I paid for the maps. I am happy with it as is, knowing that the level of detail will only get better.

Good luck.

The maps on the 340 on store display are 3 months out of date. The easiest way to check current map coverage of the latest map is to go to routes.tomtom.com

Anyone have any experience driving in Tijuana? I'm there frequently and would like to use the GPS at times, but I'm a little concerned about the coverage. There is also tons of road construction in TJ which I'm worried may not get frequent updates.

I chose the 630 over the XL340S because I wanted the memory card slot and Bluetooth. I almost sacrificed these features to get the additional Mexico map on the 340s, but didn't think it'd work real well. I can always add the map later I guess.

Just did a road trip in central Mexico last month. Would've been nice to have since I ended up on a two-lane highway for 2 hours when I could've taken a toll road and saved an hour plus a lot of stress.

Tijuana, Baja California

Has anyone used TomTom Mexico maps in Tijuana, BC? Please share your reviews. Many thanks in advance.

Tijuana coverage

I use my TomTom 140 in Tijuana often. The coverage is very complete.

Now about constuction - it's not going to help you with that. The road construction in Tijuana changes on a daily/weekly basis. There is NO traffic coverage in Tijuana so your GPS has no idea where traffic is and how to get around it.

In fact I don't believe that the IQRoutes data is all that great in Tijuana. I would suspect not too many people are driving around with TomTom GPS's in Tijuana. In fact if you asked 9 out of 10 people who live in Tijuana that would not even believe that they could get a GPS with a map of Tijuana. Some of the routing is a bit obscure and the GPS does not know as well as I do what streets to avoid during certain times of the day.

In addition, the TomTom GPS with the TMC traffic data has absolutely no knowledge of the traffic to cross the border. None at all going North from Tijuana to San Diego and minimal, inaccurate coverage of the now frequent traffic jams on the 5 and 405 south heading into Mexico. There can be a 45 minute delay and the TMC traffic information won't show any delay or will show maybe a 5 minute delay. And this is regarding traffic data in San Diego.

Also be aware that the city of Tijuana has great coverage but if you go just a bit south to Rosarito there is only coverage of the toll road and maybe a few of the main roads. No detail like there is in Tijuana.

Also, the POI data is quite sparse. I am adding places all of the time and sharing them, so hopefully it will get better eventually.

But having a TomTom GPS with the Mexican maps in Tijuana is very helpful. You will learn a bunch of road names that not even the locals who grew up in Tijuana will know!

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your review Andy. I really need this information because I live in Tijuana and I got lost several times after giving someone a ride home. I only mind about getting a full coverage of the cities because there are so many small roads and it's so hard to identify which is which at night time...lol. Other than that, I am pretty much okay with their main streets and freeways.

I bought a TomTom 140S on eBay and it comes with US, Canada, and Mexico; I am waiting for its shipment. Getting lost in a foreign country is a nightmare that is why I really need a GPS device.

I have been doing a lot of testings. I travelled Mexico for 6 months using Tomtom unit and a local vendor called Mio.
The Tomtom map is very poor, has very little coverage, very bad POI info, and a very small comunity.
When I was there I decided to stop at a RadioShack and they sold me the Mio, and the differences between the maps is huge. The coverage is much more detailed.
I wonder why my TT unit did not have that coverage

I have been doing a lot of testings. I travelled Mexico for 6 months using Tomtom unit and a local vendor called Mio.
The Tomtom map is very poor, has very little coverage, very bad POI info, and a very small comunity.
When I was there I decided to stop at a RadioShack and they sold me the Mio, and the differences between the maps is huge. The coverage is much more detailed.
I wonder why my TT unit did not have that coverage
What map version do you have on your TomTom?

Coverage in Playa del Carmen stinks, too. All they show is the main highway through town. Mexico is clearly NOT a priority for TeleAtlas, the mapping service that TomTom now owns.

If anyone is concerned about whether buying the map with Mexico will do them any good, just hop over to Digital Mapping & Navigation Solutions- Tele Atlas, go through the motions to do a map correction there, and you'll see the coverage in the area in which you're interested.

Ask a Question