map download question

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom 720
I was all ready to pay for my NA map on the UK site and then I relised I do not have a 2GB SD card yet. Does the download go the computer in a folder or directly to the tom tom?

Another thing where do I get the activaction code for the map also?

I haven't purchased a map through the UK but I assume it goes through your TT HOME application. If you don't have enough it also download the map to your TomTom HOME folder/download/map

New maps do not need activation codes as they TomTom will automatically link your map to your HOME account. Your HOME account is tied with your device.

Im getting ready to do the same thing as racer, but now Im a little confused. What if you have a Tomtom One V2, hence the NA maps aren't available for your specific device. So you have to buy it via the Tomtom website by selecting a 720 or 920 as your model. How does that download into Tomtom home, and how does it get linked to ur device for activation, being you technically have a Tomtom One and not a 720/920?

Downloading Maps

From what I have read, the US & Canada map is more detailed than what came on my XLS. My question is if I purchase the more detailed map will it over write the existing folder US and Canada ? Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance to whom ever.

From what I have read, the US & Canada map is more detailed than what came on my XLS. My question is if I purchase the more detailed map will it over write the existing folder US and Canada ? Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance to whom ever.
the US and Canada map is the map you already have in your XLS, which is the less detailed one. The North America, NA, maps are the more detailed ones.

you can only see these if you select either the 720 or the 920 as your device. The 720 detail map is around 1.7gb and the 920 detail map is around 2gb whereas your US and Canada map is around 850mb. Big difference.

The stupid thing is that you have to select another device to get the better maps. seems like TT would have figured out that maybe people with the XL XLS, One, etc would like better maps too, and maybe that's why they have a card slot for them...

Thanls for the reply Twistrman...so can the NA map work on the XLS? I do have a 2GB card in my GPS, should I delete or better yet save the US/Canada map folder to my hard drive then delete it off the 2 gig card so I will have room to download the NA map? Thanks for your help. :confused:

Also how does one go about changing your GPS from XLS to 920 so you can see the maps ?

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has been able to change devices on the Tomtom home program in order to get the NA maps. What many have done, myself included, is go to the Tomtom website, and click on United Kingdom instead of United States in the drop down menu. Then go to the purchase map page, and select either the 720 or 920 as your device, and it will give you the option to purchase the latest NA map. Tomtom seems to like to make things difficult one way or another.

OK, have ordered the NA maps from the UK site when and where does the download popup, they have the money but no download as of yet. Thanks

OK, have ordered the NA maps from the UK site when and where does the download popup, they have the money but no download as of yet. Thanks

Did you get the maps yet? It should have came up right then and there. I was going to order and download tonight maybe I will wait till I see what happens with yours:eek:

I can't say for sure Lobo, as I haven't made it that far yet. Im waiting to stabilize my money situation before I buy the map. From other postings Ive read, Ive heard 2 possible options. 1) Contact Tomtom customer service, and they can possibly research the order and find it for you; or 2) some people have also said something about having to make a new online account in addition to their initial one, and that is where the pop up will show up. Im not exactly sure how that would work. Dont hold me to that, hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in and confirm or deny this. Good luck, let me know how you do.

Undelivered Map

This is where I stand at the moment....did all that was listed here, setup an additional account....blah blah blah. The site (UK) charged my credit card and sent emails confirming all that but no download. So with the new account in my girlfriends name and different e-mail it allows me to get to the point with TomTom Home but when it see's that I indeed have a XLS connected and not a 720 or 920 it won't allow the download. I have attempted to call customer service but have yet to get through. I'm calling as soon as I finish this post and will update as soon as I can. I guess you can call me the giny pig. I'll either get the file or the account credited. Wish me luck.

ordered new 920 map of NA

I set up a new account in England and it took it.Ready to download and since i have not got the 2 mg card yet it showed not enough space on the tomtom.It looks like when i put the new card in it i can download the new map

This is where I stand at the moment....did all that was listed here, setup an additional account....blah blah blah. The site (UK) charged my credit card and sent emails confirming all that but no download. So with the new account in my girlfriends name and different e-mail it allows me to get to the point with TomTom Home but when it see's that I indeed have a XLS connected and not a 720 or 920 it won't allow the download. I have attempted to call customer service but have yet to get through. I'm calling as soon as I finish this post and will update as soon as I can. I guess you can call me the giny pig. I'll either get the file or the account credited. Wish me luck.

Downloading as we speak, will check back in when I'm fully operational again

LOBO777 How did you get it to download?

For above poster with the TT1 would it let you download it still even though it did not have enough memory. I have the 2GB card already just using internal memory at the time. I want to just download it to a folder and then transfer it to the card. Can this be done?

LOBO777 How did you get it to download?

I went to the UK site thru TT home and selected updated my device and there it was, the file....had to delete some files from the already loaded 2gig card (have complete backup)...cleared some room on the card and it's downloading but it's S L O W...so far things seem ok. BTW, I never made contact with TT customer service busy busy busy so I went searching myself and finally got the thing to start downloading. Will update when done, most likely tomorrow.:rolleyes:

Thanks for keeping us updated Lobo. I was pretty certain there was a way to get it to work, as it has supposedly been done by multiple others on this forum who have a TT1. I was hoping one of them wouldve chimed in and clarified things up for us, but no such luck. Let us know how it goes.

Ask a Question