Map data for other areas (without directions) available?

TomTom Model(s)
ONE
Hi all,

I love my new TomTom ONE! I'm recommending it to all of my friends, but we've come up with a question. I know that TomTom sells maps for just North America and Europe, but I assume that's because they include the info to create driving directions.

For areas that TomTom _doesn't_ cover (like Africa), is it possible to get a detailed map somewhere (free would be nice) and load it onto the TT1? I'm not asking for the TT1 to be able to give me directions, but if the GPS is going to be able find me on the map anywhere on the globe, I'd like to be able to load something more detailed than topography on it for that place - just lines for where the roads are. I assume that the map info is fairly available, like Google Maps. For example, just to the level of detail like this map of Cape Town, South Africa: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&om=1&ll=-33.926563,18.382423&spn=0.006997,0.016812&z=17

But is there a way to get it into a format that will show up on the TT1?

Thanks, and I hope to someday be enough of an expert to _answer_ questions on this forum, not just ask them!
B.

Tomtom will look at raster files if they are carefully constructed, the snag is it needs it own vector files for the same area.
So the short answer to your question is no.
There are addon programs that may show you lat,long height etc.

SA

Hi there
Tomtom Now does maps of South Africa as I have just bought them for use as im going there for a holiday and will be taking my TTG with me...

Steve

Ask a Question