Map Copy -- nothing illegal!!

Just got the 1Gb Western Europe maps with my new TomTom One XL. As there is only 20Mb spare, I thought I'd copy the 1Gb card to a spare 2Gb card I've got. COpied fine but when I try to use the 2Gb card it says the map is wrong for the device?

Surely as I have a legitimate/paid for map I can copy it to a larger card? I know it's locked/licensed to the
device so there's no chance I could pass it one to anyone!!

Just got the 1Gb Western Europe maps with my new TomTom One XL. As there is only 20Mb spare, I thought I'd copy the 1Gb card to a spare 2Gb card I've got. COpied fine but when I try to use the 2Gb card it says the map is wrong for the device?
I don't know if this would work it's worth a try.

Put your 1GB card into your One XL >
with Windows Explorer make a complete copy to your hard disk >
put your formatted 2 GB SD card into your device >
make a complete copy from your HDD to your device.

If that doesn't work........

With the 2 gb card in the unit, download and try running the Clear Flash tool found here. Run it 3 times.

See if that helps.

I am led to believe that the 'ONE' won't work with 2Gb cards unless I upgrade the bootloader?
Any ideas?

Which One have you got, post up the part number from the base of the device so I can work out exactly which device it is, there are so many different versions of the TomTom One its the only way to make sure! - Once we have that updating the device which will include a new boot loader if applicable will be easy - Mike

Same poster also made similar threads at PGPSW and, as I remember, determined the card reader in his laptop was the issue. Seemed resolved with the use of a dedicated card reader.

Part number is 4S00.006R. Yes I did resolve my other problem but only on a 1Gb card where the card got corrupted.

Your device is the XL Classic with no internal storage capability, the device was supplied as new with a 256MB card installed which contains the map and all other software. For the very latest Navcore for your device click Here you can install this to your memory card using WinRar - Mike

Mike,
Thanks, seems odd that it's an official TomTom box etc which states it's a TomTom ONE?
When I download that latest Navcore, what exactly do I do with it? I'm guessing that after what I found out yesterday that I can copy the original card to a spare 1Gb card and play with that now I know it's a size limit on the card until I update.

Spec of this TT device by the way says it's git 512Mb internal memory or is someone telling me porkies?

How could I find out what's in it? Would Home give me the spec?

It's an official sealed 'refurb' unit from TomTom BTW.

Forgot to say that this unit was supplied with a TT sealed 1Gb card with Western Europe maps not a 256Mb card.

Just checked the box and the book that came with it and both state clearly it's a TOMTOM ONE XL. It's even got that etched on the bottom of the unit.

I am not to bothered what the documentation supplied states TomTom have released so many different itterations of the One and XLranges its not really surprising even they get confused!

Your device is one of the early original One XL devices without the built in Flash memory storage, when originally supplied it will have had a 256MB card fitted, as its an R model they look to have changed the card to something else which is larger, it could be the map is locked to the cards ID rather than whats "normal"

What you need to do is install the application from the link I provided to the 1GB card, then copy everything from the 1GB card to the 2GB card and try it again, it will need the new application on the 1GB card so it can read it and update the device - Mike

Just going to try another 1Gb card which I've just copied to prove it's the sd card limitation rather than the card being locked to the device.

I suspect that as it's a refurb, they have added some thing to it like Mapshare which works fine.

OK I've given up now:mad:
Xcopy'd the card supplied to another 1Gb card and it still says that the map cannot be used on this device!
Obviously the 'supplied' sd cards are coded in some way so that they can't be copied.

Hopefully when I need another map, I will be able to download it, copy it a card and then activate it?

What map version do you have? It's before my time, but I believe the 500 and 600 series maps used a different type of copy protection. It's quite possible that there is some type of SD-based lock that we long forgot about.

If you buy new maps, there shouldn't be any reason why it can't install to normal SD cards.

Ask a Question