Map Colors Flickers while driving no idea how to fix

Hi

I've got a strange issue I have yet to resolve. The map colors seem to alternate between blue light tan and the tan with the building layouts. Now I know for sure the tan with the building layouts should be the only map color showing on the ground but for some reason those colors mentioned above alternate while I drive, like for instance I'll be driving seeing the building layout on the tan surface then all of a sudden it will change to just plain blue, then to light tan with no buildings. I have no idea how to fix this it does it on both 2D and 3D viewing and all map color schemes it happens on. Is there any fix to this or is this a problem that can't be fixed? Thanks for anyones help!:

I have seen this issue reported once or twice where the road colour seems to blend in with the background. I know that one user reporting it called TomTom, and was told it was due to a faulty map. He was provided with the opportunity to dl the map again and it seemed to fix the problem. Don't know if it is the same issue you have but a call to support may be in order.

Actually I've started to notice I don't think it starts right off the bat like that it looks as if it starts about 20 minutes after I start driving and now it alternates between said colors and green now on the ground, the road colors don't change just the ground colors around the roads. This model I bought is actually a refurbished model maybe it's a hardware problem, what makes me think that is sometimes it shows streaks of a different color and in my experience when I've seen that on my computer in a game for instance it was a graphical artifact. Hopefully that's not what's happening here.... won't be buying refurbished tomtom's again for sure..

Sorry for the multiple post but Tomtom told me after I did a clear flash that everything would work out. But nothing has changed do these guys know anything? Should I return this? I only have another week or so to return it. Sounds like maybe I should do that Tomtom support doesn't seem like their interested in putting effort in to help me...

Did you speak to them via phone or email?

I have found the email route is very useless. Talking to them has generally taken care of any issues.

Cheers

Sorry for the multiple post but Tomtom told me after I did a clear flash that everything would work out. But nothing has changed do these guys know anything? Should I return this? I only have another week or so to return it. Sounds like maybe I should do that Tomtom support doesn't seem like their interested in putting effort in to help me...

If you can return it, you should. If you are having this kind of problem this early in ownership, who knows what else you may encounter.

Is it the colors wash out or they "flicker"?

If it is flickering, try disabling the "photo" sensor that switches day time/night time colors; I noticed on the 920, as it gets brighter outside (more sunlight) my screen gets brighter (but it looks like flicker)...

Not familiar with other TT models, but on the Rider2, the switch to day/night is done by actual time, not bright/dark.

I can ride my bike thru tunnels, or take into a dark garage, etc without it switching. I have tracked it somewhat, and as the days get shorter it switches earlier.

I had a problem with my device when I first bought one last Christmas. I found that if it was cold (which of course it was here in Manitoba...) it was switching screens to all sorts of different functions. I called support and they immediatly said to send it back to them. My replacement unit has worked flawlessly.

In other words, call before its too late.... ;)

Cheers

Last edited:
Update: I was successful in getting support to replace my unit and they did just got my new replacement. Unfortunately I must have the worst luck ever because even this unit the ground changes colors. I know it should be a 3dish ground that's tanish but it goes like usual from blue to green to 3dish back and the cycle goes on. Does anyone have any ideas could I really get a unit with exactly the same issue? Is this common? Thanks.

Also FYI I test this problem by making a route and just doing the demo mode to run the route and it's very apparent all the way and I drove around same issue to confirm it.:mad:

For anyone that's interested this is a video of the issue http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGb4Sg3xNUs

Last edited:
Update: I was successful in getting support to replace my unit and they did just got my new replacement. Unfortunately I must have the worst luck ever because even this unit the ground changes colors. I know it should be a 3dish ground that's tanish but it goes like usual from blue to green to 3dish back and the cycle goes on. Does anyone have any ideas could I really get a unit with exactly the same issue? Is this common? Thanks.

Also FYI I test this problem by making a route and just doing the demo mode to run the route and it's very apparent all the way and I drove around same issue to confirm it.:mad:

For anyone that's interested this is a video of the issue http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGb4Sg3xNUs

I see what you mean.
Did you by chance just copy your backup from your first unit onto this replacement ?

Did this replacement unit act like this right out of the box ?

Ya as soon as I got it I turned it on and the same issue in that video started happening I didn't copy the files from my last unit this was it's own software after I got it.

Just out of curiosity:
1. Does your map reside in internal memory or a sd card? If in internal, any way to get a sdhc card, copy the map folder to it, insert into the unit and still see if you get the flickering colours? If on a sdhc card, can you reverse the situation and see if the problem exists.

2. Do you see the map flicker in demo mode while undocked? In the emulator (Operate my Go) of Home, I think the demo mode is there, too. Can you see a flicker in demo mode?

I will most definitely try to put the maps on a sd card I'll have to go out and find one but I should have one lying around.

In regards to the demo mode yes on the desktop, device, while driving that flickering occurs. The video I took was recorded with tomtom home, but it shows on the device just the same.

So as an update this is quite amazing actually I've had a total of 3 refurbished exchanges with Tomtom and they all have this problem I don't really understand what I should do I can't just keep exchanging the unit over and over again for the same problem this has to be an issue with software or something maybe the maps in my city are messed up anyone have suggestions? It's way too late to return to the retailer I bought.

It could be a legitimate change. Tomtoms change colors if:

1) "change to night mode when dark" is turned on. Try turning it off in preferences.
2) the GPS signal goes away (the tomtom still drives with a dark map for a bit). Maybe you have some type of shielding/tinting on your windshield.

Sounds like some type of corruption.

What device and app version / map version are you using? Home much free ram is showing?

I don't seem to have the problem while demoing the same route.

Well TomTom seems to believe it's a hardware problem but I'm convinced now after wasting a few months RMA'ing these devices that it's somehow the map version like your suggesting I have the latest software and the map version is old I think it's like 7.013 the problem is I haven't been able to convince TT to give me the new maps for free to try to fix the problem. They insist I RMA it but I just can't keep wasting time doing that.

Also how do I find the free ram? Unless your referring to the memory in that case I have a 4gb sdhc in there.

Tap the lower right satellite bars, and then tap on the version button on the lower right of the next screen.

You'll pull up a huge list of system stats, including map version, app version, model (upper left), and free RAM.

Have you tried latest map guarantee in Home? It may work if Home mistakenly considers the RMA as a new model.

Ask a Question