Map accuracy in Alberta (terrible!)

I see that TomTom purchased TeleAtlas, so perhaps now we'll see some more accurate maps come out?

I also just noticed that google maps is now using TeleAtlas all the time, I noticed this when I uploaded my garmin 305 after a run to the motionbased.com site (which uses google maps), and when it showed my run it didnt show any of the roads except one that it usually shows on my running routes, and the one that it did show wasn't accurate at all. When google uses navteq maps my runs were spot on, right up to the side of the road I was on.

Hey, it could be worse. Three years ago I had a rented Renault Laguna with a built-in nav system. I was trying to get to the airport near Catania in Sicily. If I had followed the directions I was given I would have jumped a three foot concrete wall, climbed a flight of stairs, and used a pedestrian overpass as an onramp to the autostrada.

Seriously, though, I appreciate the frustration. I expect to be in Alberta next summer and sure hope the maps are better by then.

Tele Atlas should be the provider for the most accurate maps going forward - it's getting corrections from MapShare, information from Google Maps edits, and their own Map Insight feature. Google Maps dropped Navteq maps a couple weeks back, so there could be slight differences between the maps; however, Tele Atlas is aware of these discrepancies and is working hard to correct htem.

Tele Atlas should be the provider for the most accurate maps going forward - it's getting corrections from MapShare, information from Google Maps edits, and their own Map Insight feature. Google Maps dropped Navteq maps a couple weeks back, so there could be slight differences between the maps; however, Tele Atlas is aware of these discrepancies and is working hard to correct htem.

Hopefully, I just sent TeleAtlas yet another note telling them how my entire subdivision is non existant, while on navteqs map all the roads are there etc. At least this time with the standard reply I at least got a case number so I can see if they are doing anything about it at all. Btw, went and checked out Navteq's site and they are a way ahead of TeleAtlas for this area if the province.

Tele Atlas's Canada maps might need some improvement, but they are getting information from a multitude of sources. Since all the agreements with TomTom and Google Maps are relatively recent, I believe in the future, Tele Atlas will be the most accurate and proactive map provider.

What website did you go to to look at Navteq's maps?

Tele Atlas's Canada maps might need some improvement, but they are getting information from a multitude of sources. Since all the agreements with TomTom and Google Maps are relatively recent, I believe in the future, Tele Atlas will be the most accurate and proactive map provider.

What website did you go to to look at Navteq's maps?

I am pretty sure I went through their website and to their map reporter, then just zoomed in on my area, but I just tried it again now to make sure and it doesn't seem to be working. The link is here

Hopefully, I just sent TeleAtlas yet another note telling them how my entire subdivision is non existant, while on navteqs map all the roads are there etc. At least this time with the standard reply I at least got a case number so I can see if they are doing anything about it at all. Btw, went and checked out Navteq's site and they are a way ahead of TeleAtlas for this area if the province.
Funny, that is exactly the opposite of what I reported here.

Funny, that is exactly the opposite of what I reported here.

I guess it depends where you are, the image below is a side by side comparison, on the right side is what google used to show me when they used navteq, on the left is how it is now with TeleAtlas. I used to be able to draw maps to my place with "my maps" in google, but no more, as you can see the (20+ years old) roads where I live are not even on the TeleAtlas map.

lestates.jpg

Last edited:
Still nothing on the many letters I have sent to TeleAtlas on this issue. If they are working hard on this, it's not very evident.

Bottom line is, I have to tell anyone asking me how I like my Tomtom that it's fine if you live in Edmonton or Calgary, but pretty well useless otherwise. Go with a unit that has Navteq maps and at least it will be useable out of the cities.

Glen - could you post which map version that you are using?

I just got the most recent Tele Atlas map, and I'd like to compare it to see what changes have been made in your area.

Could you also post the general town/intersection that you are having trouble with? I can contact Tele Atlas to see what the progress is on it.

And together we will succeed! (forgive the cheesy 3 Musketeers reference)

I guess it depends where you are
That is the KEY of all things.
It DEPENDS on the area.
TeleAtlas doesn't cover your area so Tomtom is suck, while in other area, NavTeq is missing entire village so Garmin and Magellan are suck.
Buyers should be smart enough to choose which is best fit for them.

Glen - could you post which map version that you are using?

I just got the most recent Tele Atlas map, and I'd like to compare it to see what changes have been made in your area.

Could you also post the general town/intersection that you are having trouble with? I can contact Tele Atlas to see what the progress is on it.

And together we will succeed! (forgive the cheesy 3 Musketeers reference)

My map is 705.1481 - but co workers have newer versions and report the same issues I have, so it seems pointless to spend the money on a new map. Besides, with google maps using TeleAtlas all the time now, I should just be able to check their latest coverage and see if it is up to date, correct?

Here is googles coverage of my area and here is Yahoo's, which I think uses Navteq. You can see how Yahoo has all the secondary roads, while google has none. I used to use google to calc mileages on local roads, I can't use them anymore, as you can see.

If you zoom in on the town itself just southwest of the maps in the links, the roads show up on my 720, but always show me one street north of where I actually am.

Wow, that comparison is really helpful in understanding what you are going through.

First of all - You are correct in that Google Maps now get all of its mapping data through Tele Atlas, so that is a good tool to use in "testing out" the map coverage in your area.

It looks like your specific community still needs some corrections and additions to bring it up to speed. I know - my old town needs some too, especially since new roads have been built.

The maps on TomTom devices are very strong, but of course it can never be
100% perfect. There are variations in different areas, so the best thing that you can do is to keep on sending in the map corrections for your town, and encourage your friends to submit them too.

One of the things that helped me uniderstand what, exactly is happening with the whole Map Insight program is this video from the Web 2.0 expo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZEYM4RhDdE

The best plan to get your town on the map:
For your friends that have TomTom GPS units, encourage them to use the MapShare program.

Even for those that don't, have them go to Tele Atlas' Map Insight submission form:
http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com/mapfeedback/index.php

I know that you have been trying in all sorts of ways, but the good news is that they are actually releasing maps with user-submitted map feedback now. Lets try to get your map changes into the system, because the more people that submit a correction, the better it's chances are of being used in future map releases.

Here's something to get you started...
I just submitted your neighborhood! Anyone else out there interested?

Thanks Buddharay - I'm going to take a flask of coffee one day and my laptop and TomTom and drive the town streets and send corrections in on both, but in the area's where the roads don't even exist I'm not sure that would help. As you can see, the google coverage used to look like the map on Yahoo, quite a diff now eh?

ps. thanks again for submitting my area, I finally got a response though from TeleAtlas about this, in a nutshell it was just "insufficient data"

Why don't they just purchase the data from Navteq?

I was in Ketchikan, Alaska, in June. The map, v710.1575, seemed complete enough, but the unit was consistently placing me OFF the map. While driving along the main street through town, it placed me in the middle of the Tongass Narrows-and I was not on the ferry at the time.
TomTom Tech said it was a 'calibration issue' that they were aware of and working on...

It works like a charm in the continental 48.

Yeah, in British Columbia it was very accurate every where I went, even on heavily treed mountain side roads. Alberta coverage sucks though, unless you are in Edmonton or Calgary. I was in Wetaskewin last weekend, which is a small city just south of Edmonton a few minutes off the freeway, and same thing, off by a block almost everywhere in the city.

I am seriously thinking of unloading this thing and getting a unit that uses Navteq data

Thanks Buddharay - I'm going to take a flask of coffee one day and my laptop and TomTom and drive the town streets and send corrections in on both, but in the area's where the roads don't even exist I'm not sure that would help. As you can see, the google coverage used to look like the map on Yahoo, quite a diff now eh?

ps. thanks again for submitting my area, I finally got a response though from TeleAtlas about this, in a nutshell it was just "insufficient data"

Why don't they just purchase the data from Navteq?

Glad that you got a response!

It's good to see that the crowd-sourcing system is working...I mean, just us working at it has helped Tele Atlas to flag that area for improvement.

From the reading that I have done recently (I'm a mapping/gps blog junkie :eek: ) Tele Atlas is being really aggressive in bringing those certain areas of Canada up to speed. I'd keep watching to see how it expands. The way I see it, you are never going to have a 100% perfect map...but overall the strategy that they have for keeping TomTom maps updated is a solid one.

Part of your choice might depend on where you travel, too. What are you thinking now?

Been awhile since I visited here, and I have to say I am sorely disappointed with Teleatlas, all my updates are answered with "insuffucient data", no matter what I send in or how I word it. I have told them in great detail how their roads are out or non existent through their feedback, and I get the same pat answer back, and when I check google maps their roads for Alberta are still decades out of date.

On the plus side, my wife has a Garmin Nuvi now and the difference is like night & day, accuracy everywhere she goes and I have yet to see it off the road. I am seriously thinking about giving up on teleatlas and going with a navteq unit now, but I still like the open source-ness and features the tomtom give me, and it is usefull when I travel to BC.

Ask a Question