Map 865 released

dhn

TomTom Model(s)
Go 50; Go 520
Map version 865 is now available. For non 1x, 2x and Via users, please make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents prior to taking the update.

Also, see supermod mvl's instructions below:

Please note: Tomtom has only released the map for devices with application 9.x and earlier. The map has not been released for app 10.x devices ( VIA / GO1000 / GO1005 / GO2405 / GO2505 ) at this time.

Before you update your maps: We recommend the following steps to prepare yourself, prior to a map upgrade:

1) Make an explorer/finder backup. With any change this big on a Tomtom, it's always a good thing to back up first. Backup instructions are here.
2) After your backup, upgrade to the latest app. Earlier apps had issues with map installs, so you should update your app to the latest version before attempting a map upgrade. To update your app, choose "Update my Device" in Tomtom HOME, and if an application is offered, check the application and uncheck everything else, and click update. Keep repeating these steps until HOME has no newer application to offer.

How to download your map:
- Maps must be downloaded via Tomtom HOME. You can install Tomtom HOME from this link. There has been a recent critical update to Tomtom HOME (version 2.8.0.2146), which you can install by selecting Help -> "Check for HOME update" in the Tomtom HOME menu. If you have issues with the HOME update, these steps can usually fix them. DO NOT attempt the steps without making a backup of your Tomtom first.
- If you're device has been used for less than 30 days and you haven't downloaded a map before: You should get a free map under the "Latest map guarantee". To use this guarantee, open Tomtom HOME, and go to Tools -> Latest Map Guarantee
- If you have a new Lifetime Map device: The first time you upgrade maps on a Lifetime Maps model, you need to go to "Use my Activation Code" in Tomtom HOME, and enter the maps activation code included in the slip in your box. This only needs to be done once, Tomtom will assigns the lifetime maps to your email address, so in future quarters you can follow the steps below.
- If you have an active or lifetime map subscription: Open HOME, log in with your email/password if not auto-logged in, and go to "Update my device". The new map should be offered automatically for download.
- Otherwise: If you want a new map you have to purchase one. Open Tomtom HOME, go to "Add maps", and follow the purchase steps. You can buy a single map, or you can buy the "map update service", which bundles current and future maps for a discounted price. Note that purchases are processed through Netherlands servers, so you often pay more than the quoted price due to foreign credit card fees. Also, you may need to call the card company first and tell them you plan to make a purchase from a Netherlands website, so that the charge won't deny.

Issues to consider when updating maps:
- Reserve enough time for the map update. Maps are 1 to 2 gigs in size, and can take a long time to install. You'll need time to download 1-2 gigs from Tomtom's servers, and then you'll need an additional 20-60 minutes to copy the map from your computer to your Tomtom.
- If you try to download when everyone else is trying on February 21st, the download could take up to 4 hours due to server congestion. Also, it may abort due to the overload. If it aborts, go to "update my device" and the download should resume from where it left off
- If you're device has app 8.x, you'll lose favorites and settings after the map update. To restore the from your backup (as recommended above), follow these steps, and then follow these steps.
- Inevitably, something breaks for certain models in the map update process. If you have an issue, check out this thread, to see if others are reporting a similar issue, and if anyone has found a workaround/fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll clone the 860 post and add 865 references and note updates later tonight.

Just popping in to compliment TT's servers this morning. Projected d/l time (via Comcast) is 22 minutes for the North_America_2GB file set of 865, and it looks very much like it will complete in that time frame.

Well, I first backed up both my 540 WTE unit (slow), then dl both the NA map and Europe_West (about 20 minutes each) but the install is SLOW and then copied the larger poi set from a previous backup to the new NA map and now am backing up both maps......

Taking hours in total.

Also notice new files in the 865 NA map that have not seen before such as: overview.dat (1 meg), overview.met (2K) and this one: housenrs.dat (92 megs!).
Will be interested in the impact of the last file on the map, especially considering the name given to it and the file size.

The 865 Europe_West has no such files.

Will see how that works out on the "house numbers"? Did not receive those files for my version.

Of interest - after the 865 installation, I was immediately advised of Mapshare updates. Went ahead and applied those, and ZOWIE - 1019 Mapshare updates appear for a brand new map (North_America_2GB)? What's THAT about?

I'm starting to think that when we see that after downloading a new map that these are changes to the map VERIFIED BY TT that did not get into the compiled data for the map.

p.s. Guess you gotta change the data in your sig line, eh? :D

:eek::eek:

"Upon further review" as they say, just noticed that the files I mentioned also existed in a previous map 860.

Oh well..........:rolleyes:

I

p.s. Guess you gotta change the data in your sig line, eh? :D
Was waiting until I got the 2nd unit updated!

Fascinating bit of news. For the first time, I allowed Home to do whatever it does with regard to downloads and paths. After updating the 740, I went to update the 720. The "map download" was instantaneous, and the map then began to install on the 720. Clearly, Home was using the existing downloaded 865 map from the 740 with the security verification for the 720 rather than downloading the map a second time.

As I'd never trusted Home to behave, I'd always gone in and specified a separate "Download" path for each unit, so I have no idea if this is new behavior with Home 2.8 or whether it would have done the same before.

Of course, all of this is predicated upon the fact that both units make use of the same North_America_2GB map set.

Well, for the second map in a row, USA_Canada_Mexico is smaller than it used to be. I wonder what they took out this time...

Worst thing is that the 540 isn't even at it's max capacity, you would think that they would start taking things out only once it got too big for the 2GB systems. :confused:

Upon further review, seems that the two big changes refer to POI files:

crpoi.dat was 194,305KB in 860 and is now only 25,203KB in 865.
poi.dat was 256,441KB in 860 and is now only 242,374KB in 865.

All other files are relatively the same size or slightly bigger.

Should I replace the new POI files by the older ones?

Downloaded the latest map. Thought some of my submitted map corrections might finally go through after I got an email from Tele Atlas about some of my submissions being accepted for the next map. But I'm browsing through the map and not finding any of them. A bit disappointed, as I don't think I've noticed one change in the maps since I got my tomtom 2+ years ago. A shame since I'd really like it if my home address actually showed up on the map.

Last edited:
File temporarily moved ?

try to download the NA-Canada-MX 865 map from TomTom Home for my XL340TM this morning and got an error (Server error: file temporarily moved) Any one in North America has this same error or it is related to my system setup ?

It may be a server side error as I'm sure they're swamped with download requests.

I dl 865 for my 540 yesterday.

My suggestion would be to try a little later.

It may be a server side error as I'm sure they're swamped with download requests.

I dl 865 for my 540 yesterday.

My suggestion would be to try a little later.

Still no luck . Got the same error message. However, I was able to download the USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P.zip file using the URL from the error report using my web browser (no TomTom Home). Can I just extract this zip file to my device map folder or do I still need some other files ?

There should be the zip file for the map AND another .cab file called (mapname)_activation.cab with just an activation file in it and YES, you do need it or the map won't be recognized by the application.

Note: I have noticed a routing correction on my commute to work this morning. For some time my tomtom has not been able to route through a section of street--it is on the map but my tomtom would try to take a 1.5 mile detour and would tell me no route possible when I just drove on through and try to get me to turn around at every intersection for several blocks. But today the device correctly routes and I'm able to drive straight on through. Nice to know at least the most annoying thing about the last map was fixed. Now only if those missing streets I've been complaining about for two years were there...

Ask a Question