Map 860 vs 855

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom XL-335TM; Map 935.5811
I found it interesting that the new 860 map is actually a bit smaller than the 855 map (at least for the map being offered for 2 gig devices it's smaller). I haven't download the new 860 map yet as I want to make sure I don't have to re-do map corrections over again. I saw where someone mentioned what file (or files) to back-up and xfer after map update, but can't find that thread. :confused:

The 855 map (855.2934) on my TT takes up 1627.8 meg. The 860 map (860.3121) being offered is 1602 meg. The description shows quite a bit more ALG for portions of Canada and an additional 1750 miles of road coverage in Canada. How's that possible? Or... is the 1602meg number a compressed file?

I've attached an image of info on the 860.3121 being offered.

Last edited:
I can't remember the version# on top of my head but seems like the 860 map created for those 2GB devices such 7x0 while the 855 map could be the full one that for those 4GB devices such 9x0. Maybe.

I found it interesting that the new 860 map is actually a bit smaller than the 855 map (at least for the map being offered for 2 gig devices it's smaller). I haven't download the new 860 map yet as I want to make sure I don't have to re-do map corrections over again. I saw where someone mentioned what file (or files) to back-up and xfer after map update, but can't find that thread. :confused:

See here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/23969-map-share-there-really-any-point.html

Thanks dhn. I'll be sure to copy those 3 files off of my TT before doing a map update.

Maybe one of you can help me figure this out. I exchanged my XL335TM for a new one because the RDS-TMC antenna went bad after two months. I had to ask customer support to override whatever setting on their end that was preventing me from linking my new unit to my e-mail address since they only allow one e-mail per unit (I didn't want to set up a new address just for the new unit).

I finally got everything linked up and proceeded to update the device, but to my surprise, I was offered two different map updates with the same version number: 860.3121. WTF? The first one was as described in Rick's original post. The second, which I chose, is described by the attachment below. After completing the update, TomTom Home is still telling me I should update the map. Any ideas? This is crazy. I'm rapidly losing confidence in the software and customer support.

Attachments

• USA, Canada & Mexico.jpg
    USA, Canada & Mexico.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 515
I found it interesting that the new 860 map is actually a bit smaller than the 855 map (at least for the map being offered for 2 gig devices it's smaller).
Actually, the map got bigger. However, for the first time, the 860 map does not contain the crpoi.dat file for POI detail information. The full set is therefore smaller.

Ask a Question