Map 850 has been released

New 850 maps for Europe delayed to end of June.

See Email about your Map Update Service

When you say "for Europe" does that mean for everyone living in Europe or specifically for the "Europe" map?

I'm in the UK and waiting for the latest and greatest for the UK and NI. I'm sitting on my Latest Map Guarantee until I'm sure I'll get the 850 map.

At what point in June do people think this will be available? Certainly, by July my Latest Map Guarantee will expire without use.

All the best,
Andrew.

The UK&ROI is at the 850 level now. The Western_Europe is not.

I'd call, NOT email, UK support to make sure they note that your account will be extended (LMG) for as many days as it takes for the WE map to be released.

The UK&ROI is at the 850 level now. The Western_Europe is not.

I'd call, NOT email, UK support to make sure they note that your account will be extended (LMG) for as many days as it takes for the WE map to be released.

Thanks for getting back to me so fast. :)

I don't think my TomTom GO 550 LIVE doesn't include maps for Western Europe, I think it has UK&ROI coverage only. If UK&ROI is at the 850 level now, is there any point in me waiting?

All the best,
Andrew.

My XL IQ Live is running V850 mapping downloaded via Home so I woudn't wait any longer, plug it in and hit the LMG option (after making a Windows Explorer back up of the device just to be safe) - Mike

How do I get map 850?

When I use Home it gives me NA map 845 when I use the update my device option ( I have not downloaded that). If I use LMG (am within the initial 30 day period) will it offer me NA map 850?

When I use Home it gives me NA map 845 when I use the update my device option ( I have not downloaded that). If I use LMG (am within the initial 30 day period) will it offer me NA map 850?
yes the lmg should give na map 850. if it doesn't then call tomtom phone support to have them load it manually.

Tomtom released map 850 for Europe now. It has "zones" that support the splitting of the map into smaller areas for those who have limited memory. It must be why the recent HOME upgrades just came out.

See here.

Latest Map Guarantee

Last week, I purchased my TomTom XL IQ2 Western and Central Europe edition but when tried to update my map using ?Latest Map Guarantee? it came up with message ?This item cannot be installed on your device?. I understand my internal memory is smaller than the new map available (8.50 version). I e-mailed customer support and this is what they said:

?We have recently released a new map version, so it is likely that the map pre-installed on your device will be the previous version. You can upgrade to the latest version (8.50) through TomTom HOME.

In an effort to provide you with the highest quality maps possible and to ensure they will continue to fit on your device, we offer smaller map zones for download via TomTom HOME for some of our larger maps. With map zones you will benefit from all the improved quality and coverage.

You are still entitled to use the complete map and can change the active zone in use on your device at any time using TomTom HOME.?

I can?t see any options to change the ?active zone in use? on my device or through the software nor does it give me option to download smaller map and install on my device. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

You should be presented with the options for the regional coverage while the device is connected to Home and the internet, under the Western_Europe map it should expand to reveal four different zones, you can select any one of these for use but pay careful consideration to the countries included in any single zone if you are taking Mainland European trip .

To be honest this splitting up of the traditional Western_Europe coverage is a bad move IMHO and will cause major issues for owners of units with limited internal storage capacity, for example setting off for Spain with the wrong map installed to the device, when the unit was first purchased it covered a huge area, post V850 it leaves huge chunks of the original map coverage out.

With the only way to change the map being a new download via Home with an internet connection its not something most people going on holiday will have access to once the mistake is realised. The "extra details" in way of a slightly higher definition of green areas and rivers/ costal area etc isn't of much use in a car and I have yet to see any real tangible benefit for the additional map file size while in use in the car - A slightly more vibrant colour schemes such as fields etc count for very little - Mike

Europe Update a Farce

:(I cannot Believvvvvvvvvvvvve It, well actually I can.
TT seem to ride roughshod over their customers and every Update, tweek and messing around they do seems to cause problems.

The last one was ''Operate my Tom Tom'' not having the correct file, ''its corrupt '' they say, I say ''oh the latest Home update has fixed that!''

Anyhow this is what I have sent this, I wait with baited breath!:

Hi I have a TTXL Live for Europe and the latest Map update is available but it is no use to me as I'm going to Austria from the UK, I could do that before.
My paid for Map Update was for the Western & Central Europe but it seems I can have Western and Eastern but not both therefore I would have to change my map as I left the UK!
I'm sure Im not the only one to have this problem.
What I want to know is are you going to fix it or how will you refund me my money as I have paid for a service which has changed substantially from that which I signed up for which does not enable me to navigate accross Europe as I see fit without having a PC to update the TT at a border?

:(I cannot Believvvvvvvvvvvvve It, ?
Middle name Victor per chance?

I have paid for a service which has changed substantially from that which I signed up for which does not enable me to navigate accross Europe as I see fit without having a PC to update the TT at a border?
You should have also mentioned the 45 minutes to an hour that it takes to change a map on a USB-1 based device, if it were a ten minute "fix" then it would be annoying, at close to an hour its not workable, it will be interesting to see what they answer your query with though, please keep us informed - Mike

Latest Map guarantee

Thanks Mike, I don't know if you an employee of TomTom but you are certainly very honest. If people like you were in charge life would be a lot simpler and perhaps the company would put their customer needs first. I don't get an option to switch to different zones with this map (version 845.2645), it?s a single map. I have spoken again to the customer care and they are offering me (at the supervisor's discretion) an option to download two maps through "My uploads" screen free of charge. One of them is version 850.2802 called Europe 2GB and other version 850.2800 called W&C Europe 2GB. The first will install only one of the zones on my device at a time i.e. West, East, South or North if I clear some space on my internal memory and include my existing map among items to move to my computer through Home software. The second one wouldn't even do that, it just says this cannot fit on your drive, I can only remove the small files from my drive but not the existing map as it doesn't appear on the list of items to remove for some reason. My only problem is that I need at least 2 zones to cover the countries intending of visiting in the near future, so the zone option will still not be able to fit. Anyway, I will wait and see what they come back with but if you have any suggestions please let me know as any help would be much appreciated. Failing everything else, I may have to return the unit to the merchant and replace it with something else altogether. Don?t really want anything different to TT since I am familiar with these units but may have to reconsider that if no resolution is offered.

I can assure you I don't work for TomTom, any advice offered on here or other web sites I partake in is just intended as advice/ assistance to those having what I describe as "fun" with a navigation device.

One option you might want to consider is returning the device as unfit for the intended purpose it was purchased for i.e. a pan European trip. Get it swapped out for a 750 Live device, this might cost a little more but it does have the necessary memory card slot for expasion and will therefore accept the full Western_European map without having to pratt about with "zones" - See if TT will swap the device, if not return it to the vendor as unfit for the purpose it was sold then purchase a 750 if you want to stick with the TomTom products.

Any TomTom device devoid of a memory card slot is asking for serious trouble, I certainly wouldn't purchase one - Mike

I might just return this to the merchant. Don't know how they will react to this but worth a try. I actually had a TT 520 music edition before this and gave it to my brother only few weeks ago which had an SD card slot, mp3 player, FM etc but I never used any of its features in 4 years, mainly because they were either far too complicated or totally useless. This is why I chose the entry level XL this time which of course doesn't come with SD card slot. I don't think I will ever use any of the added features of the new Live series to be honest. I totally agree with you on importance of having an expansion slot, especially if you want to keep your device for few years. I just can't understand the stupidity of TomTom releasing a map update which cannot fit on a device with internal memory while still being sold in shops as current model. This surely will affect everyone with entry level TT. Incidentally, there was an option to purchase an up to date map through the Home software with 18 months map updates yesterday, suggesting they do indeed have a map that will fit on my device, they just don't want to give if for free. It was marketed at a special price for something like ?7.50 for the latest map + ?35-?40 for quarterly map updates for 18 moths but you had to buy the two together and they didn't come separate. I can't see it there today for some reason.

Tomtom released map 850 for Europe now. It has "zones" that support the splitting of the map into smaller areas for those who have limited memory. It must be why the recent HOME upgrades just came out.

See here.
Having just updated my 920T and selected one of the 4 Europe zones rather than the original combined Western Europe map, I found that all the map information appears in a different folder. To retain my favourites I duly copied back my previous mapsettings.cfg file from my explorer backup only to find my device continually reset itself when removed from the docking station. I assume that this is because the mapsettings.cfg file is probably linked to the folder name and so just copying your previous mapsettings.cfg to the new folder won't work.

After some messing about I came across this fix which sorted the issue for me.

@bluw28, as you have a 920 your device has the extra memory to cope with the full European map rather than a tin-pot regional version, all you need to do is put the North_American map on to an SD card before deleting it from the device memory or, if you don't use the NA map consider copying it to your PC then removing it from the device - Mike

No fuel prices after installing new map

Got the new map but the fuel price update refuses to install. As usual something always go wrong with TT.

Bill

I've joined this conversation as I've just upgraded to Western Europe Maps on my TT XL IQ Routes and have now lost the ability to get Fuel Updates / Prices.

Anyone fixed this by any chance?

Ask a Question