Map 845 has been released

Tomtom HOME is extremely slow and has lots of disconnects right now. For those with subscriptions, you may want to wait a few days until the server overloaded dies down.

dhn should be happy about this one:

"additional information: over 42,000 miles of road improvements in Canada since the last release."

"additional information: over 42,000 miles of road improvements in Canada since the last release."

Hi mvl

Where do you find specific information about the changes to the latest map update? Does TomTom publish what States or Cities have road changes?
Also, do Map Share corrections update road speed profiles?

Thanks

Gary

See here where the information is listed.

Hard to tell whether speed designations sent for previous maps using mapshare are incorporated or not. Some mapshare changes -- including speeds -- get in, many do not.There isn't a detailed breakdown of changes by state or province.

Now all they need up there is some snow (or at least not rain) in the Vancouver area! Should have done it in Calgary.

And still no railroad underpass connecting Simcoe with South Simcoe Street in Toronto.
Reported in September to both Tele Atlas and Google separately.
On another list they said that 845 is based on the December 2009 Tele Atlas map release!
The annoying thing is that "new" roads cannot be made with Map Share.

Rome wasn't built in a day, Arno (I just made that up! :);) )

But the spiel did say that 42,000 miles of roads in Canada were improved. I didn't know we had that many! :)

A member of another forum says ALG is now evident on the 401. I suspect you'll see lots of that in your travels .... finally.

(I have 2 minutes left in my download. I'll then back it up and copy over the larger poi set.)

On another list they said that 845 is based on the December 2009 Tele Atlas map release!

Typically the Tomtom map is based on the 2-month old Teleatlas map. The December 2009 one was announced here. You'd hope that as integration occurs since the aquisition, that this time delay would speed up.

Teleatlas just announced that an off-cycle release was published today for South Africa's World Cup. So given the date coincidence, it's possible that South Africa's Tomtom map may be udpated and may be the test country for more real time integration. Tomtom has delayed the South Africa map (still at 840 on the map store), so we'll see if 845 comes out shortly with all the World Cup POI's as announced.

Last edited:
Did the download and also set a short route to see if the ALG/Reality View would kick in on the 401 as reported. And it did.

But I have a question (mainly to you, mvl, who is experienced with the Reality View).

As I moved through the demo and saw a couple of Reality view screens, I also noticed on the bottom a countdown in metres to the exit. I did not notice this yesterday when I was in New york State and saw 'true' RV at a couple of points.

So, the question is ............

Is it normal (and I just didn't observe it) to have the distance countdown in RV or is this a new (to 845) feature.

Rome wasn't built in a day, Arno (I just made that up!
Rome wasn't burnt in a day !

A member of another forum says ALG is now evident on the 401. I suspect you'll see lots of that in your travels .... finally.
I should have bought the upgrades yesterday.
I just bought 840 Christmas Eve and I see the 845 map on the Canadian page for USD 89.95 !!!

So, what happened to the New Canadian Map Store ?

They changed the banner in the time from about 5 pm to when you must have looked.

When I checked it out (about 5), the opening screen was still promoting the 'LATEST' map at 40% off. If you clicked through, you were at the page for the picking of NA or Western Europe but both were at the full price.

I did a demo from home to Islington and the 401. While on the 407, it showed no ALG/Reality View until the exit at the 400. Saw both then and again at the 400 exit to the 401. Then again every exit to Islington.

I can see why people turn OFF Lane images :)) ). Actually, the demo was set for 500% speed so the images basically popped up one after another. In 'real life', that wouldn't happen with that frequency.

After all my complaining about the lack of ALG in Canadian maps from what, 815 on, am not about to complain now.

Actually, when I get a chance, I'll have to check the accuracy of a few ALG locations. There are lots of mistakes on the 840 map in locations where mvl lives (Boston) and there are issues in European countries as well.

As I moved through the demo and saw a couple of Reality view screens, I also noticed on the bottom a countdown in metres to the exit. I did not notice this yesterday when I was in New york State and saw 'true' RV at a couple of points.

I've always seen the distance countdown.

It countsdown much faster than ALG does, since the CPU doesn't have to do all the screen refreshes of the map when RV is up.

As complained by many in the US, reality view will show up whenever there is an exit only lane in a highway. Once you get used to that it's a good thing.

Also reality view will show up when you enter a highway, at the first exit it will show you one reality view image to "stay on" the highway.

I mentioned in my prior post of essentially no ALG on the 407. That is a toll road here but I don't think that's an issue as to why they aren't showing.

Anyone get mapshare corrections yet?

HOME is still saying "Unfortunately mapshare corrections are temporarily not available" for me with map 845.

They changed the banner in the time from about 5 pm to when you must have looked.

When I checked it out (about 5), the opening screen was still promoting the 'LATEST' map at 40% off. If you clicked through, you were at the page for the picking of NA or Western Europe but both were at the full price.
This morning they showed 30 % off the USD 89.95.
I did not drill down as it had my user name ans password and I don't want to pay USD 62+ six weeks after paying CAD 46 for the 840.

I did a demo from home to Islington and the 401. While on the 407, it showed no ALG/Reality View until the exit at the 400. Saw both then and again at the 400 exit to the 401. Then again every exit to Islington.
I don't think I'll bother for a bit until I see more feed back from users in distant places.

In a day of use I haven't noticed anything different from map 840 at all. Perhaps they focused on Canada in this map and left Boston untouched....

I did peek at all the old Alberta complaint threads, and the examples posted seem to be better now on map 845.

Time will tell...

It's really hard to get very good feedback about changes outside the GTA in any meaningful way unless our users report in wuth what they've found.

While I know we do have some members in BC and Manitoba, not so many in Alberta and Saskatchewan that I know of. A few in the Maritimes but precious few in Quebec. I'd really be interested in any corrections, ALG, new roads, etc. are in 'la belle province' in 845 but not going to spend much time, if any, researching it with test drives.

Ask a Question