Man follows sat nav to cliff edge

Look at the bright side. He certainly had time to make a mapshare correction to block the road! ;)

They were only using the TomTom as a prop and for voice overs... they are not sure which brand Sat-Nav he was using... it was probably the Nav built into the 5-Series he was driving.

I've been trying to identify exactly where this road was.

Based on the description in this article, there were onlookers on Bacup Rd. Based on this article, it says the car hit a fence above fence above Gauxholme railway bridge.

In google satellite view, there's a windy set of footpaths south of Bacup road here, but when matching against this article's picture, I can't seem to position the buildings/river. Anyone else want to try to figure this out? I want to prove to myself and others that tomtom map 825 couldn't have caused this.

Last edited:
Uh oh - I think he was heading southbound down watty ln - which is still on map 825...

The picture seems to match the sharp left turn just north of backup rd, with a view looking westward. And proceeding down the road goes down a dirt path.

Quick - everyone mapshare block that road.... :)

I imagine we all have been given the same type ridiculous directions but I hope few follow them. Yesterday my TT said turn left. Like this poor chap there was no road but for me a raging torrent of water in a swollen creek. For myself I chose to ignore tt.

It looks like a very old TT too me (Classic or TT One first generation).

I just checked, and that bad road (see my post earlier) is still on the latest Google/Teleatlas map.

You would have expected some executive to tell the engineers to go fix it asap when the bad press came out. Oh well....

More bad press came out, the man was found guilty of "driving without due care".

The court records confirm it was Watty Lane, which I guessed below by the pictures. And the court records confirmed it was a Tomtom.

And of course the bad road is still present on googlein the latest Tomtom maps.

Which is why signs like this exist.......:)

2-20-07-satnav_warning.jpg

i was using my old samsung black jack 2 as a gps on a trip and it kept telling me to take country roads and told me to take this one road i couldn't ffind, when i found it 10 minutes later i almost drove off a 50 foot ledge into a blast site......

Ask a Question