Male computer voice

Is there a way to obtain a male computer voice? From what I've read only the computer voice will speak the street names.

You didn't say what model you have but, assuming it does support TTS (text to speech) ... with the unit docked and connected to the computer, start TTHome (if it hasn't already started), goto: Add Maps/voices, arrow right on the next screen and you should see Computer voices. Click it.

You should see the option for 4 English speaking voices -- 2 male and 2 female.

Select 'Dan' (I think is the Eng_US male) voice and let TTHome download and install .... you will need enough room to have it install. The software should let you know if there is a problem.

On the other hand............perhaps the voice has already been installed on your unit but not selected. Goto Preferences-->Change voices and scroll through the choices you see there. Computer voices (if you have them) will say that on the screen as you scroll through. You can select that way.

So, if they are not on your unit, do as suggested by using TTHome.

Recorded voice

Thanks for the help. I have a 920T. Your instructions worked perfectly. I had stopped at the screen that said "voices" and as you instructed by hitting the arrow key once more the next screen showed a separate category of computer voices.

I appreciate this forum and how promptly everyone responds to us that are somewhat inept.

While we are on a ?roll? I would like to ask a question about the ?recorded voice?. Don?t know if I would ever use it but I would like to get it working.

I went to Preferences/Voices/Record Voice and it prompts you to record 50 words/phrases. There is a forward/backward arrow that lets you move to a new phrase to record. When you select the arrow it will show and speak the next phrase to record, the record light on the screen will come on. I?m assuming the light must be on for you voice to be recorded; if you start speaking too quickly the first part will not be recorded. The first time I tried it after I spoke the first phrase when prompted, I hit ?Done? and it put back a screen and informed me I had recorded 1/50 phrases. I went back in and got to 50/50 and hit ?Done?. There is a toggle, ?enable/disable recorded voice?. I?ve toggled it to where ?disable recorded voice? is showing (I?m assuming this means recorded voice is enabled). Regardless I toggled it both ways and the voice chosen ?Dave-English US? is the one I hear. This is no big deal because I probably don?t want to hear my own voice (Birmingham, AL) but I would it bugs me not to be get it to work if possible.

Duh! Finally figured it out...

You have to press the red record button and it will display a message in the upper right corner of the screen stating that you are recording. When you hit record the button label toggles to stop and of course you hit this when you have finishing repeating the word/phrase that TomTom prompted you to repeat. After going thru all 50 and hitting done I looked and found the newly created folder Custom voice and the 3.3 MB's of .wav files. Selecting "Enable Recorded Voice" now works. It doesn't completely take over the Computer voice I had chosen from that screen but rather supplements the voice. Kind of neat. I can't believe how hard I actually made a relatively easy task. I didn't have any trouble getting the batteries into the remote by the way.

Help!

I was having major issues with my 910, mapshare not work, crashes etc. I reformated, and now all is working except I lost my computer voices! (Dave and Susan).

I have Home 2.2, and did go to computer voices, and it says no items available even when I show "all". Any other way to get these voices? I love the text to speech. I even recopied my old voices folder back to my reformated 910 and they didn't show up. HELP PLEASE!!! Thank you!

I was having major issues with my 910, mapshare not work, crashes etc. I reformated, and now all is working except I lost my computer voices! (Dave and Susan).

I have Home 2.2, and did go to computer voices, and it says no items available even when I show "all". Any other way to get these voices? I love the text to speech. I even recopied my old voices folder back to my reformated 910 and they didn't show up. HELP PLEASE!!! Thank you!

Try again with TTHome. I just logged in (version 7.22 TTHome) and Computer voices show up. My time is 5:30 pm Eastern Time.

Or better yet...what are the file names for these computer voices? I'll be able to look through my backup of my 910 then. I copied the entire hard drive before I did the reformat. Thanks!

UPDATE:

Ok I think I found them in this folder in my backup: LoquendoTTS. I'm copying that folder back to my 910 and hope it works!

Last edited:
+1

I upgraded my Home to 2.2 and the 910 to the latest. My computer voices are gone and I can't find them on the TomTom site. Unfortunately I have no backups but I think I still have the original CD. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

+1

I upgraded my Home to 2.2 and the 910 to the latest. My computer voices are gone and I can't find them on the TomTom site. Unfortunately I have no backups but I think I still have the original CD. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

Lost computer voices

Try again with TTHome. I just logged in (version 7.22 TTHome) and Computer voices show up. My time is 5:30 pm Eastern Time.

My 910 has just been in for repair and when it returned it had app version 7.161 instead of the 7.162 that it has when it was sent away. I have lost the computer voices and TTHome 2.3 says 'No items available' when I try to add a computer voice. Is TTHome 7.22 a US version ? I'm the the UK.

I've tried removing the TomTom app and have TTHome reinstall it. It installs v6.525 initially and then updates to 7.161. Is 7.162 is not available on the website anymore ?

Last edited:
My 910 has just been in for repair and when it returned it had app version 7.161 instead of the 7.162 that it has when it was sent away. I have lost the computer voices and TTHome 2.3 says 'No items available' when I try to add a computer voice. Is TTHome 7.22 a US version ? I'm the the UK.

I've tried removing the TomTom app and have TTHome reinstall it. It installs v6.525 initially and then updates to 7.161. Is 7.162 is not available on the website anymore ?

Go here for a link to 7.162:
http://www.oldboy.me.uk/TomTomUpdates/

Ask a Question