MAking my own PIO from Google

TomTom Model(s)
tomtom one le
OK I am stumped , (unlike the Patriots), I am using POIedit to make my own POI. I enter the name and lat and long. It takes forever. My question is, is there a way to use google map search to create a POI list.

Example when I use the google map for Irving Blue Canoe gas station near my house it shows over 400 on the map. How do i convert them without entering each lat and long.

Thanks in advance for the help.

PATRIOTS

OK I am stumped , (unlike the Patriots), I am using POIedit to make my own POI. I enter the name and lat and long. It takes forever. My question is, is there a way to use google map search to create a POI list.

Example when I use the google map for Irving Blue Canoe gas station near my house it shows over 400 on the map. How do i convert them without entering each lat and long.

Thanks in advance for the help.

PATRIOTS

AFAIK, unless you something like the MyPOI Java App, you pretty much have to enter everything manually.

Use Google Earth to place thumbtacks. Then open the KML file (located in c:\documents and settings\[your username]\application data\google\googleearth) named MyPlaces.kml in TYRE. Then you can save the POIs in TYRE to a TomTom POI file and then just copy it to the map folder on your TT.

That's a pretty short explanation - but there are better write ups on the forum. Just do a search. :)

Example when I use the google map for Irving Blue Canoe gas station near my house it shows over 400 on the map. How do i convert them without entering each lat and long. [/QUOTE said:
I haven't used it yet, so I'm not sure how well it works or how they show up, BUT, if you do "Find Business" on a Google map, click on a business in "Search Results" and then click on "Send", one of the formats you can choose is "GPS". The "Include" field has all the businesses that showed up in "Search Results" but it looks like you have to add them one at a time. :cool:

AFAIK, unless you something like the MyPOI Java App, you pretty much have to enter everything manually.

actually you don't. It's not intuitive, but fairly easy.

open google earth and the first thing you do is right click on "my places" and select "delete contents". this starts you off fresh.

Now do a search for the business. I tried sobeys in Nova Scotia and get quite a few.

here's where it's not intuitive. first go to my places right click and "save as"
sobeys. This creates a new myplaces file under xxxx business name which has nothing in it. save as .kml file format.

Now go to the top of the list of found businesses and click the minus sign to collapse the list. Highlight the collapsed list.

Now under the "file" menu, select "save", then "save to my places"

finally go to the "my Places" pane, right click and again save my places as sobeys, overwriting the original save when asked. Save as a .kml file.

then open the sobeys kml file in poiedit and save it as an .ov2 file. done. load into tomtom.

for some reason I found you have to have a "my places" saved first before you can go through the above steps.

I recommend saving the my places file as the business name and in a folder location on your computer that you can find easily. I have a "temp" folder in my root directory for this sort of thing.

Last edited:
I haven't tried google as others have mention here, but I use excel to make my custom POIs.
It uses 3 columns: long, late, description. I save the excel as a .csv and use poiedit to convert the .csv file to .ov2.

actually you don't. It's not intuitive, but fairly easy.

open google earth and the first thing you do is right click on "my places" and select "delete contents". this starts you off fresh.

Now do a search for the business. I tried sobeys in Nova Scotia and get quite a few.

here's where it's not intuitive. first go to my places right click and "save as"
sobeys. This creates a new myplaces file under xxxx business name which has nothing in it. save as .kml file format.

Now go to the top of the list of found businesses and click the minus sign to collapse the list. Highlight the collapsed list.

Now under the "file" menu, select "save", then "save to my places"

finally go to the "my Places" pane, right click and again save my places as sobeys, overwriting the original save when asked. Save as a .kml file.

then open the sobeys kml file in poiedit and save it as an .ov2 file. done. load into tomtom.

for some reason I found you have to have a "my places" saved first before you can go through the above steps.

I recommend saving the my places file as the business name and in a folder location on your computer that you can find easily. I have a "temp" folder in my root directory for this sort of thing.

Thanks, I may have to give that a try....

I tried the "send" feature in a google map and all it did was create an entry in "favorites" so it's not any good for creating POIs. I also tried flyer1024's advice and found that it works really well for creating larger POIs files like McDonalds near a city.

Do any of these methods grab the phone number (if available) in Google?

I don't think so. For restaurants,etc that I might call, first I get the addresses and phone numbers from Google maps. Next, I get the latitudes and longitudes from:

http://stevemorse.org/jcal/latlonbatch.html

Then I make the entries by hand with poiedit. Actually, I think I'm going to do all my poi entries like this from now on. You get a great lat & long from Steve Morse's site. It's a lot more accurate than just using Google maps or Google Earth. :)

Ask a Question