Making A Custom Poi Icon

G'Day Guys!
I hope someone can enlighten me on making a custom POI icon. I have selected a picture for the icon. I have resized the picture to 24x24 and also given it the same name as the ov2 file. I have positioned the icon into the same folder on my TomTom. The only difference I can find compared to other icons is the actual size of the bmp. Mine is around 64kb and the others are approx 4kb. Please help before I lose the plot altogether. What am I doing wrong?

Hello Dunny (that is if I can call you that!):)

Have you tried creating a blank 'canvas' that is 24x24 in size and then creating a very simple image (using just one colour). Check to see what that bmp size is. I have created one and it ended up tiny.

Can't honestly see what you are doing wrong.

Cheers,

You can call me Dunny, just don't call me late for lunch.

Thanks TarmacBurner! What I'm trying to achieve is, I have a number of Poi Categories such as Central Australia, for example, and have downloaded a picture of 'Uluru' or 'Ayers Rock' which I intend to use as the icon. My brain cells must be reducing daily! Thanks for your help, mate!

Open the .bmp file with Paint and save it as a 256 color bitmap.

Regards Tomas

I found the following quote when going through this myself a while back....using photoshop I followed these instructions and all the ones which would not show were fixed. The ones I had problems with were all downloaded with various POI files.

"Along with 22x22 pixels in size and named the same as the ov2 file, they absolutely must be 8-bit. I have been creating my own from different images and even though PhotoShop says the image is 8-bit, it will only save as 16-bit bmp until you change the image 'mode' to "Indexed Color" and set it to "Windows System" which then lets you save as an 8-bit bmp file."

not sure how other photo programs handle things. I found though that the size was not absolutely critical, but the 8-bit stuff was.

Dunny,

I had a play with an image and came up with this after playing with it in PSP.

I hope this uploads okay, first time I've tried to upload on this forum.

Cheers,

tarmacburner2

Attachments

• ayers_small.bmp
    1.6 KB · Views: 450
Thank You!

Thank you! I appreciate your individual suggestions and I will have another go at them.

Tarmac, thank you for the icon.

According to Tomtom SDK documents, custom POI icon must be 22 x 22 (not 24x24, but it's still ok), 24-bit (Bit Depth), a .bmp file and must be the same exact name as its .ov2 file.

Ask a Question