Makes Me Wonder if... (Brazil)

TomTom Model(s)
TT910/TT920t
Since TomTom is now expanding to Brazil, does that mean we will get the maps for Brazil? TT920 owner, I would be hoping so, but for some reason I dont think that is going to happen.

What are your thoughts?

Foxbreakr:confused:

Maps of Brazil

Anyone know where to get maps of Brazil for a TT? I am going to be traveling to Brazil for a few months and would love to take my TT

As far as I know, South America is untapped. No map of Argentina, Brasil, Peru etc. Of course, no map of that continent either.

Brasil Maps

Hi
Ive just bought I TT One Xl in Brazil with all maps. I could zip them and make it available. Please let me know ho to do this as I am an unexperienced user.

Fabio

Hi
Ive just bought I TT One Xl in Brazil with all maps. I could zip them and make it available. Please let me know ho to do this as I am an unexperienced user.

Fabio

Yes, please do!! If you plug your TT into your computer, you should be able to find a folder for the maps. It's probably called "Brazil" since my North America map folder is called "n. America". You can copy this folder to your computer then zip it.

Folks, what you are asking to do (share maps) is ILLEGAL! Besides which, they are associated with a specific device anyway ...
Yep. Not to mention this site could be in legal trouble if it is used to steal from TT.

The map won't work because it has to be tied to your specific device. When I had to send mine back in and got a refurbished unit back it came with old maps. When I tried to install the new map I recently paid for it wouldn't work on my unit. Technical support reset my account and let me download the map again for the new unit.

It might be worth calling customer service and asking how you can download that map for your trip. You could also change your location on the website to S. America and see if it will let you buy the map for Brazil. That's how I got the updated N. America map through the UK website. :rolleyes:

tomtom Brazil maps are AWEFUL

What should be ILLEGAL is tomtom taking money from people for their horrible map of Brazil.

I have been living in Brazil now for 3 months, and use my GPS everytime, and it has NOT ONCE, yes, not kidding, NOT ONE TIME ever got me from A to B without a screw up.

It always wants me to go up a wrong way, drive off the side of a overpass, puts you in a continuous circular loop, sends you kms out of your way, then to back track, trys to send you into roads which are not roads (but parks or foot-paths).

Another example, by father law lives in a city of Estiva in Minhas, tomtom doesn't even have the city on it's MAP!!! Their city house is in the suburb of Tremembe, yet again, that suburb doesn't exist.

Another time the road simply didn't exist in the map, eventually we worked out tomtom had the spelling wrong.

At best, I can call the tomtom map complete ****.

I am disguisted actually, and planned to write to tomtom for a while now, and I also want to make a youtube video of this joke I purchased.

What's worse is my Brazilian friends old brazilian GPS has all the things my pathetic tomtom map doesn't. It even has the town of Estiva. Go figure!

Tomtom, I want a refund.

Another example, by father law lives in a city of Estiva in Minhas, tomtom doesn't even have the city on it's MAP!!! Their city house is in the suburb of Tremembe, yet again, that suburb doesn't exist.
Try locating Estiva using Google (even knowing to look in the Minas-Gerais region). It isn't just TomTom. As for Tremembe, heck, the whole town isn't much bigger than a suburb. How recently was his subdivision built? Of some interest, Bing brings up Estiva correctly (all 2500 feet of it).

What's worse is my Brazilian friends old brazilian GPS has all the things my pathetic tomtom map doesn't. It even has the town of Estiva. Go figure!
I am unfamiliar with a GPS manufacturer based in Brazil. Can you better define what you mean by "old Brazilian GPS"?

In any case, the hardware manufacturer is pretty irrelevant. It's where a manufacturer sources its maps that makes the difference.

Estiva is lot bigger than 2500 feet. It has supermarkets, hospital, large town square, hotel, dozen pubs, internet cafe, huge old church, hundreds or thousands of houses. 2500 feet is smaller than the Estiva hospital.

But that is besides the point. Tomtom has not got 1 single trip right. You know what, I WILL make that youtube video and how you how pathetic the map is. Since it gerets every single trip wrong and send you:

- wrong way down streets
- into parks and gardens
- into bus terminals
- into circular paths
- trys to send you off bridges and overpasses where no exit exists
- mis-spelt street names
- suburbs that don't exist (Tremembe, Vila Magdalena, etc.)

It has been a joke, and no one trust this GPS AT ALL over here, since it has gotten us lost, going the wrong way, taking wrong exists, over and over and over again.

your smart alec reply about Estiva being 2500 feet is not appreciated, since you don't know what you are talking about. But, yes, interestingly google maps doesn't have it either. Strange, but I am happy to forgive tomtom on that, if it worked even 50% of the time.

My friends GPS was stolen from his car a while back, but I remember it having many roads that tomtom had as blank (around the country side).

I don't know where his map was sourced from, but clearly is a better source than Tomtom, which I believe (don't know) but believe is extremely out-dated.

For example, I tried to go to the city centre of, I think it was Pinheiros, and it wanted me to drive through a concrete barrier on a highway into a park.

The hotel we stayed at in Jardins, Sao Paulo, was showing the wrong direction. We could find our way home to our in-laws because Tremembe wasn't a city in the map.

This was all in DAY 1.

Another day, from Tremembe to Embu, put us in a forever circular route, because it didn't know the exit, and took us into Alphaville, way off track.

EVERYTIME, I take it through the city, it wants to go the wrong way. One time, I was forced to take a strange road because tomtom backed me into a non-through way, which it wanted to use, and I had to drive into a notorious drug neighbourhood called CRACK-O-LANDIA. My wife was screaming with fear. Another one of tomtom's daily antics that put our lives in danger.

Again, using my memory, in Santana, it wanted me turn right, and as I started to, my wife screamed again, as I strarted to drive the wrong way up a one way street...AGAIN. This something is extraordinary frequency.

I can only assume these tomtom maps are so old. Because some of the paths they want me to take, have clearly not been used for a long, long time. (the concrete barreir in Pinheiros was old, broken contrete), this wasn't a new change. The Park had been there for decades.

Again, I can make a hilarious video. All I have to do, is get in the car and set the GPS to ANYWHERE and then just film it.

I also have maps for USA and Australia, and Australian maps have been perfect, and have used them for years.

I have never had any problem in the USA, but only used it in Los Angeles over a few weeks.

Brazil has been absolutely horrific. It is a joke that Tomtom use words like "complete navigation systems", and "Best navigation from the latest maps".

This is simply NOT true. And I find that very dishonest and something I strongly dislike, is when a company just calls themselves the "best".

There is nothing complete about your navigation in Brazil and I would STRONGLY advise anyone to seek reviews on GPS systems in Brazil to see if other company's are just as bad as Tomtom.

your smart alec reply about Estiva being 2500 feet is not appreciated, since you don't know what you are talking about. But, yes, interestingly google maps doesn't have it either.
Perhaps my ignorance is a function of maps, but I have looked carefully at Estiva, and 2500' would about cover it on a side. And perhaps that's where the problem lies. If you would be kind enough to supply a rough latitude and longitude for this Estiva that you are talking about, it would be interesting to see what it is being called by the mapping companies, and perhaps that would explain your problem.

Here is the closest reference for Estiva, using your regional cue (Estiva in Minhas (aka Minas)), which requires that the town of which you speak be Estiva, MG, Brazil, not one of the others:

http://binged.it/IqmuQm

If that is NOT the Estiva you have in mind, then we have an even larger malfunction, and that would be an inability to sufficiently identify the town on either side of the conversation.

Once we can establish where this town is, perhaps we can also identify how it is being referenced in other maps, including, perhaps, that of the TomTom?

2500 feet means 2500 sq feet, which is 50 feet by 50 feet, which I thought was absurd.

2500 on one side, sure, but that's not "all 2500 feet of it"

My inlaws suburb is called Palmas do Tremembe, which is one part of Tremebe in Sao Paulo. Not existant.

My wife and I wanted to buy an apartment in one of the trendiest neighbourhoods in the biggest city in the world, vila magdalena, (check it out on google). Yet again, doesn't exist in TomTom.

So, the three places we live and travel to, or wanted to, don't exist.

To get my Brazil ID card, I had to drive to a street, can't recall right now, was something like Sao Maria, but didn't exist in Tomtom, after browsing for a long time, we found it, Tomtom had called it something like Senor Maria.

Just many many many examples that come to mind. Estiva is a trivial matter. I am more concerned that I can't make basic city trips without getting stuck.

Another time, it insisted we drive through a bus terminal. It was at night, and I didn't know, and suddenly I had a bus flashing at me as I drove the wrong way through a bus terminal which had no trough-way. This is in the centre of Sao Paulo. 3 times I tried to go around it, and everytime tomtom lead me back to the terminal.

In the end, I just had to pick a road and drive far enough away so tomtom would leave the bloody bus terminal alone and pick another route to take (at least until we got stuck again).

50 square feet? So absurd I am surprised you would have considered it. I usually think of the size of a town in terms of its length and breadth to cross it. Seems I did know what I was talking about, although I am surprised that Google doesn't. It usually picks up towns of that size.

Well, best of luck. It would certainly be interesting to know what that "Brazilian GPS" was so you can pick one up, else I suspect you'd be better off doing it the old fashioned way -- with a map.

There is nothing complete about your navigation in Brazil and I would STRONGLY advise anyone to seek reviews on GPS systems in Brazil to see if other company's are just as bad as Tomtom.
Although it is going off-topic, I think that it might be helpful to mailvern for me to mention that this web site is not affiliated with TomTom (the company).

I get the impression from the remark above that he believes that he is communicating with TomTom itself. Since this forum is not operated by TomTom, and none of the moderators work for TomTom, I think that mailvern might want to express his concerns on the support web site that actually is operated by TomTom.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Ask a Question