Second screen is map of my street, with the blue arrow
Tap in the centre of that screen and I get MAIN MENU which is six boxes:
1 Navigate to
2 view map
3 plan route
4 live services
5 settings
6 help
[my main point is that I do not always get this screen, which is labelled as “main menu”]
If I tap DONE at this screen I get back to the map of my own street
Tap the centre again and on this occasion I get the same as above, but it is difficult to get back to this without switching off and starting again from the beginning.
Thanks for the offer of help. I suppose I an looking for the structure of the Tomtom Folders/Directories, as in Internet Explorer

Certainly, tapping the driving view screen SHOULD get back to the Main Menu screen with those option every time.

Have you tried a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 15 seconds till you hear the drum sounds?

Another question, when you tap the driving view screen and don't get back to the menu screen, what do you get?

Remember, you may need to PRESS (for a second or two) the driving view screen rather than TAP (for a split second) the screen on any Nav3 device, such as yours.

The latency on Nav3 devices is worse than the older Nav2 devices where, indeed, a fast tap on any icon or screen seemed to get to the next appropriate screen.

So, could that be your issue; namely, you aren't pressing the screen long enough???

I still need help on the problem which I described in my first post, my main menu has changed. It now offers:

1 change route
2 view route
3 clear route
4 live services
5 settings
6 help

Previously the main menu had:

1 Navigate to
2 view map
3 plan route
4 live services
5 settings
6 help

What must I do to recover main menu mark one, to to get main menu mark two?

Phew! There is not a problem here :)

What you are seeing is the normal Main menu layout for
1. when you already have a route planned, and
2. when you have no route planned.

If you already have a route planned and you want to get rid of it, tap on "Clear route". That will take you back to the "other" main menu. But there is normally no need - you can get to all the functions you need from either version.

the only thing I don't like about it is how the "View map" display now always defaults to showing you the current route, if you have one set.

Unqualified thanks for your explanation! As often happens, the probable answer had come to me an hour or so after I had explained it all. My wording is different, but means the same thing. "The Tomtom only allows you to have one route planned at a time. If you tap on CLEAR ROUTE you will get back to the menu which allows you NAVIGATE TO or to PLAN ROUTE. "

As I seem to have located some helpful people, I will try a new question. Is there a way that I can specify a road which I want to use, rather than a town which is on that section of the road? For example, I would like to say "via M1" rather than "via Daventry" when planning a route Birmingham-London.

Your explanation to yourself is spot on! :D
But one last point, you don't actually need to "Clear route" first.
If you use "Change route" and then "Change destination", that's just the same as starting a new route from scratch, so I think it saves a button press or two.

----------

As for getting it to travel via a main road such as the M1, then I think that's one of the basic limitations of most sat navs, and certainly all TomToms.

Their little brains are locked into thinking about "points", so to navigate to an address, it asks you for a point on a road (i.e. the house number). If you don't give it one, it just goes to the middle of it..

So for very long roads like the M1, it has no idea of what part of it you were wanting to use. It's where "common sense" is actually very hard for a tiny computer brain to emulate.

In that situation, the workround that I use most is to let it calculate the route, then do Change route --> Travel via --> and then use "Point on map" (on the second screen of choices) to pick somewhere on the M1 to go via.
Do make sure you zoom right in though, to make sure you've tapped the right side of the motorway, otherwise it will take you round in a big loop to go past the EXACT spot you marked on the other carriageway!

Alternatively, I have added a set of "Motorway entrance" and "Motorway Exit" Points of Interest files from PocketGPSWorld to all my TomToms. These are REALLY handy, as they allow you to specify an actual junction number of a motorway to go to, or travel via.

If you can't find them on the PGPSW site, just ask, as I'm active there too.

I have printed the above post and have it on my reading stand. It will stay until well absorbed. Meanwhile I will search for "PocketGPSWorld". Thanks again.

Ask a Question