Low bridges

Yes it will work fine, but you MUST be aware that they are only simple POIs.
That means you can set up the TomTom to give you warnings as you approach one, but there's absolutely no way to force it to create a route that avoids them.

Bridge X charge £9.95 for their Low Bridge files (they say 'over 3000 entries').

You may want to check out PocketGPSWorld as well. They do the best speed camera warning system in the UK (far better than TomTom's own)and once you've subscribed to that, you can also get their low bridge POIs (3192 entries at last count) as a free extra.

Website

Hi.
If you sometimes travel around without your satnav, or want to plan a route from home on your computer, then I have a website that lists thousands of low bridges from around the world.
This is my site - ajdor.co.uk
If you know of any that I have missed out or mis-quoted then you can let me know here or via the email address on the site.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow... impressive site Stewart, you must have a seriously good anorak! :lol:

It took me a while to realise the country selection in the low bridges section is a bar along the bottom, but once I'd found that it all became clear!

Had you thought of compiling your data into POI files for the major satnav brands? (TomTom .ov2, Garmin .csv etc.). That might be a great addition to the site.

Oh, one typo I spotted on the front page.... You've got "Isreal" instead of "Israel".:)

Low Bridge site

Thanks for the reply, and very eagle-eyed of you to spot the spelling mistake. Now fixed.
Yep, anorak's getting a tad worn-out now.
As for the POI's I wouldn't have a clue how to go about it. How about you?

For Garmin (and other brands that use the same format) the .csv file is just a list exported from a spreadsheet with the Latitude, Longitude and a name for each of the entries. Obviously you need to have them in the right order and have the exact format of headers etc just right, but it's all pretty simple. For TomTom .ov2 format, AFAIK, you just need to plug the data into a converter program that takes in .csv and squirts out .ov2.
There are a few free ones around on the web.

As you're UK based, one suggestion I'd give is to contact PocketGPSWorld.com and see if they would be interested in a collaborative effort?
They already have some files for low bridges in the UK and some other countries, but I don;t know how complete they are.
I know their POI Library manager may be interested, and he has all sorts of clever tools for making usable files out of raw data.

?

That sounds hard work, getting all those latitude and longitude figures. All the data I have is just from flying around google maps and landing with street view. It's taken over 6months to get the site as it is now as I only do it in my spare time, and it's done in Word and Excel. I had to put Israel in a seperate Word page because Excel wouldn't let me copy and paste it in without changing the Israeli translations about.
If anyone would like to contact me about a collaboration then I would be up to hearing from them, but at the moment I think it's just going to stay as it is, but thanks for the info.

Andy, you can provide whoever is in charge of that aspect at PGPSW with Stewart1's email address here.

Ah... I was assuming you had the locations as Lat/Long co-ords in some sort of format already! Maybe not so easy then. :lol:

But I'll point Richard at PGPSW to this topic anyway, just for interest's sake.

Just noticed, thanks for making the link to my site clickable. It was my first post and apparently you have to have a post already before you can post a link, or something like that.
No, like I say it's all done on google maps and that doesn't give the co-ordinates. Maybe if it did I might have included them, but to find all the co-ordinates now would take some doing eh. Especially the way-out ones, eg. the middle of nowhere in Russia etc. :lol:

Shame, Google maps DOES give the coordinates, in several ways....

Any of these will do it for you:
1. Right click anywhere on the map and select "What's here" and the co-ords appear in the search bar
2. Click the "Link" button (a picture of chain links) at the top of the left-hand panel of Google maps and the co-ords appear in the link URL it generates.
3. Follow the "MapLabs" link on the bottom left of the left hand panel and install the "drop Lat/Long marker" add-on.

It would have only taken an extra second or two while you were doing it, but as you say, a lot of work to revisit them all now!

When I say google maps I mean the google maps that's just in my firefox browser which is a flash object. Just tried right-clicking and all that comes up is the flash settings etc. table.

Ask a Question