Longitude changes with scale of map

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
In "Browse map", with lat/long displayed, the longitude number changes when the map is zoomed in or out.

Between min and max zoom there's a difference in the longitude of almost 21 degrees.

That doesn't seem good. Anybody else noticed this?

Anyone have an explanation?

Hmmm, back at ya', jimbo.

I just tried it again. In Browse Map, with maximum zoom (slider bar all the way down) I clicked the GPS button, and the coordinates read N36.18824, W81.71902.

I zoomed all the way out (slider at top) and the coordinates read N36.18824, W60.84938. That's almost 21 degreess difference in the longitude.

Zooming all the way in, the coordinates return to N36.18824, W81.71902. Zooming out again, they go back to N36.18824, W60.84938.

What could this mean?

Well, I guess I'll email TT CS, but I won't hold my breath waiting for their response.

Has anybody had luck getting an email response from them?

Got a response (sort of)

Just received this email from TT support:

The fact that the latitude changes when you zoom in or out on the browse map is normal. This usually happens because of the shift of the map. Currently there is not any way that we would be able to stop this from happening. We regret any frustration that this may have caused you.

If that's the case, why did I never notice it prior to having to reformat my flash memory and reinstall the OS? Why would that matter anyway? And why does it not happen for zerimar and 46jimbo?

Can/would others weigh in on the issue? Move your zoom slider bar all the way down (max zoom), note the lat/long, then slide the bar up to the top. My longitude changes almost 21 degrees every time and returns to the same reading when I return to max zoom.

I have to go to maz zoom any time I want an accurate read on the longitude numbers, and even then they're often different from the coordinates shown in the "Browse Map" or "GPS status" screens.

Why would this be? Can I assume the coordinates shown in "GPS Status" would be the accurate ones?

Got one answer, but still not convinced.

TT CSR (email) has advised that the coordinates listed in "GPS Status" screen will, in fact, be more accurate than the ones in "Browse Map" or "Route Summary."

That still doesn't convince me there should be almost 21 degrees of variance in longitude when zooming the map!

I can't believe no one else has noticed this. If it is unique to my TomTom, what could be the explanation?:confused:

Really sorry for the bump, but....

I'm not getting anything from TomTom on this, I find it quite frustrating, and I'd really like to discover an answer.

All I get from TT CS is:
"We are always happy to help. The fact that the latitude changes when you zoom in or out on the browse map is normal. This usually happens because of the shift of the map. Currently there is not any way that we would be able to stop this from happening. We regret any frustration that this may have caused you."

My longitude (but not latitude) always changes with zoom level. Max zoom is closest to the actual coordinates (from "GPS Status" and "Route Summary" screens) but is still usually off.

I'm puzzled that no one else has noticed this, and even more that two posters report their coordinates DO NOT change with zoom. What could possibly account for such behavior?

BTW, I've tried dozens of times in the past few days to open TomTom.com>My TomTom>My Question History. It simply won't load.

OK, this seems to be causing you sleepless nights ;), so I went back and had another look.

I place my cursor and watch the coordinates. As I move the slider, there is some discrepency in the mid-range. But when I'm a max zoom and minimum zoom, the coordinates don't change. It's as I'm moving the slider that they jump around.

Now try this: instead of moving the slider, just tap the bar at different points. The slider jumps to that position, but the coordinates remain rock solid.

Thanks, Jimbo and D-F

I appreciate your efforts.

No, this is not keeping me awake at night, but I do find it puzzling. Sometimes when correcting a POI location, I'll stand at the front entrance and note the lat/long, then enter those numbers when making the correction.

Mainly I'd like to know if my TomTom GO720 is screwing up, and why.

I tried changing the GPS configuration (degrees-minutes-seconds, degrees-minutes-decimal minutes, decimal degrees.) In all three modes, I still get almost 21 degrees of longitude variation between min and max zoom. (The latitude does not change.)

Why would my TomTom do that, when apparently no one else's does?

Ask a Question