Locating a place by name alone???

TomTom Model(s)
GO 920
Someone asked me where Howe caverns is in NY. I didn't know but I figured maybe my 920 could find it. I had no idea what town it was in, so I could not enter it in the normal way. I tried every way I know of to find it with the TT but I was unable to program it in.

Is there some way to enter a destination into the TT, such as the the caverns mentioned above, without knowing what town it is in?

Yes there is, I just tried it on my tt one.

Go to Navigate to
Point of Interest
Poi Near you
Poi category
Pick the category you want ... ie airport
Find
Type in what you want
then select it.

(I live in Boston area and found LAX 2638 miles away).

So, as long as you know the category, you should be able? If it exists in the POI database.

I was just hoping to be able to find something by State and Name, and nothing else. Sometimes the actual category type might be somewhat unknown. Such as....What category would the caverns have been in?

So, as long as you know the category, you should be able? If it exists in the POI database.

I was just hoping to be able to find something by State and Name, and nothing else. Sometimes the actual category type might be somewhat unknown. Such as....What category would the caverns have been in?

Well, you have to have some minimal information on the location otherwise there is no place to start the search.

I am trying to recall if my Garmin 76 can find more generic type of locations but since it only has a limited map capacity, I would have to load an entirely different set of maps. Okay, on my COMPUTER, Garmin's Mapsource was able to Find "Howe Caverns" when I had loaded my City Navigator maps. Whether the same would hold true on one of the Car-units, I don't know. I guess a visit to a store with gps units and playing with Search functions might show how generic a search can be. Or visit a forum where you can ask about search wide-open searches.

Frankly, I'm not totally enamored with TT's poi files and its limited listing search functions.

Ask a Question