Loading a different map

I have a TT ONE XL. I need to buy a map of Europe and want to know if I have to off load my current map and load the new one or can I get the new map on an SD card and use it that way? My internal capacity is right at the limit of 1 Gb.

Also, has anyone taken one of these units apart and if so, is there really a tiny disk drive inside?

With your model, if it has a slot for a sd card, then EVERYTHING must be on the card, meaning map AND application. It's an either/or situation with storage location between internal and sd card, unlike the Go series where the unit can use internal AND external storage together.

Bottom line: whatever storage location you are using on the unit must have enough space to handle a new map. So, move map folder A to the computer, install Map B on unit. When you are ready to switch maps, move map folder B to computer and copy back map folder A to unit. All this moving and copying should be done with Windows Explorer.

with the price of sd cards today I'd install the new europe map AND the operating system on a 2g card leaving your internal memory as it is.

simply insert the sd card to boot up with the european maps, and when you want to do the opposite, just remove the sd card and reboot.

to do this just copy everything from the internal except the map folder to an sd card. copy the europe map to the sd card and activate it with the card in the tomtom.

and of course a backup of both should be made!

New Map on SD Card - Help Required.

Hello All,

New to the forum. I'm from Ireland. I recently purchased a Tom Tom one XL in the US for a two week vacation. (it was cheaper to buy one that rent one out for 16 days)

The Tom Tom has the US and Canada maps pre installed.

I now need to install UK and Ireland Maps. No space on hard drive so I bought a 2G SD card and downloaded the Maps onto it. Following your instructions above I copied the operating system on to the card along with the UK and Ireland Maps.

However, When I boot up with the card inserted, the sat nav tells me that no maps can be found. I have checked the Card on windows and can see that the maps are there.

Any advice?

Thanks
Padraig

How did you copy the application to the sd card? And is it the latest for your unit? Were the US maps the latest for the unit as well?

update

Just one further update.

The guam maps were also preinstalled on the hard-drive. This is a small file, so I loaded them onto the SD card with the UK and Ireland maps. When I booted up with SD card inserted, it was wable to display guam maps.

So it seems that it is recognising the SD card but for some reason it is able to recognise the guam maps but not my newly downloaded UK & Ireland maps.

I have checked the files contained in the Guam map folder and there were 3 files in there that were not in the UK & Ireland folder (map settings, map info and map user patch files )

I copied these 3 to the UK & Ireland folder but still no Joy..

What next? this is a bummer

It may be a case of the maps not getting installed properly in that a file necessary for activation wasn't created properly.

See information in this link about installing a map without using Home.

Maybe it'll help.

How did you copy the application to the sd card? And is it the latest for your unit? Were the US maps the latest for the unit as well?

Hi , I used windows to copy the operating system / app file to the SD card,. I plugged in Sat nav and copied to hard drive and then I plugged in SD card and copied from Laptop to SD card.

Not sure if my american maps are latest! I dont think this is an issue as I am able to view the guam maps from the SD card

In the instructions, it refers to the extraction of a .dct file from the cab file. That may be the only part you need to do. (for each map)

more probs,

Whe n i tried to back up an error occured. It could not copy certain files. I checked for the Tom tom folder and no sign of it.

Your purchased maps should be found here:
c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\Maps\

What errors are you seeing when trying to do an Explorer backup? What files won't copy? (you want to backup the contents of the sd card)

Your purchased maps should be found here:
c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\Maps\

What errors are you seeing when trying to do an Explorer backup? What files won't copy? (you want to backup the contents of the sd card)

I tried the back up again and it seems to have worked. I have located the activation_map_50902.cab file but when I extract there is only one file in there. Its a .dtc file and only has gibbereish in there. About 300bytes of it. I extracted with Winzip as when I went to open with thats the only option i had.

Sorry to be a bother

Don't worry about what the contents of that file look like. It's THAT file you want to extract to the location specified in the instructions in the link. Once done, disconnect your unit PROPERLY from the computer and see if the maps are now recognized.

Don't worry about what the contents of that file look like. It's THAT file you want to extract to the location specified in the instructions in the link. Once done, disconnect your unit PROPERLY from the computer and see if the maps are now recognized.

Done all that and finally its working.. thanks a million for your help.. Im relieved.

Padraig

Good news.......

Now, make another Explorer backup of your sd card's contents.............it's your 'safety net' :D

Ask a Question