LMG for refurbs still honored by (at least some) TT Support

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL-S
Hi all,
Newbie here, first post. Great forum. I had followed threads about TT not honoring anymore the latest map guarantee on refurbished units sold in North America. Decided to go ahead anyway and bought a refurb One XL-S last week from TigerDirect.ca. (Canadian subsidiary). I had read that it all depended on whether the package included a LMG promo card or not. There was no way to know ahead of time if the TigerDirect unit would include it or not but it did.
I can confirm that TT Support agreed to update the pre-installed 7.10 North America map and released the 8.25.2210 as of today 16 March 2009.
Some tips. You have to stay calm, be polite and reasonable and go beyond the initial "no". When I said that I knew from various forums that they had done this before (2008, Radio Shack units), and that nowhere did I see on the web that LMG did not apply to refurbs, TT Support proceeded to give a direct URL of where it says so. I replied that the URL was from the TomTom website and that there was no such thing on TigerDirect's website, an authorized distributor. What really made the difference is that I had the LMG card and promo code in the box. I made the point that you cannot make me an offer that I held right there in my hand, and then turn around and void that offer by adding a few lines on the website.
Maybe I was lucky, maybe it was simply a nice guy, or maybe they don't care that much because some major upcoming map update is just around the corner. Whatever it was, it is worth a try if you are in the same situation.
By the way, the unit looks brand new and I have not found anything wrong with it (yet). One tiny thing I noticed: the speaker buzzes a bit when using the US English female computer voice, but not with the pre-recorded voices. Crappy older-design windshield mount but I knew that already and ordered an Arkon vent mount from Amazon. Should be here soon. Any known issues with vent mounts (i.e. heat or A/C effect on the unit?)
Happy trails,
Kavtam

Welcome to TTF and congratulations on being successful in getting the LMG.

Make a full Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

When I spoke to tomtom support, they said that they will still honor the LMG promo card if it is in the refurb box. You said you had one, so that was probably what eventually worked.

Ask a Question