Little Map Question?

I got my new DVD map today.

But I found there are "North America 1.4GB" and "US and Canada 899MB".
What's the different?
(Since I have 2GB SD card, I install the "North American instead, but still wondering what's the different? )

=========================================================
BTW, I found OEM Tomtom SD card is pathetically slow w/ benchmark off Sisoft Sandra compare to my ADATA 80X 2GB card. ( and yes, "map browsing" function is DEFINITELY faster w/ ADATA )

I think SD speed does matter a bit.

OEM TomTom:
2MB Files Test
Read Performance : 321 operation(s)/min (405 kB/sec, 2x)
Write Performance : 87 operation(s)/min (69 kB/sec, 0x)

ADATA 80X:
2MB Files Test
Read Performance : 219 operation(s)/min (7475 kB/sec, 49x)
Write Performance : 95 operation(s)/min (3243 kB/sec, 21x)

Since I am currently at WA, I installed both "north america" and "WA or ID" to my 510.

I found the machine become more responsive if I select just to use "WA or ID" map only. ( I keep "north america" in the SD card just in case I am heading to Canada)

New 665 is indeed better. (at least around Seattle area) The CompUSA nearby my place finally shows up at POI. And the Office Max that out of business finally no longer exist.
________
apartments for sale in Pattaya

Last edited:
HERE is a thread telling you about the smaller regional maps vs. the larger seamless one.

Here is one of many threads that tells you the difference between the North America maps and the USA/Canada maps and why the NA maps are so much larger.

It pays to search! :)

I agree with you completely on the speed of the cards, the faster cards do perform noticeably better, and especially if you are running 3rd party apps (like the one that takes a screenshot) it is a HUGE difference in performance.

Last edited:
HERE is a thread telling you about the smaller regional maps vs. the larger seamless one.

Here is one of many threads that tells you the difference between the North America maps and the USA/Canada maps and why the NA maps are so much larger.

It pays to search! :)

I agree with you completely on the speed of the cards, the faster cards do perform noticeably better, and especially if you are running 3rd party apps (like the one that takes a screenshot) it is a HUGE difference in performance.
wouldn't RAM make a difference too? I'm constantly at 0.0MB free.

Hey Nextourer, I was constantly at 0.0mb free too, and I ended up disabling some POI on my map and it helped tremendously. I just decided I could live without the Wal-Marts showing up on my map, along with a bookstore and Target. I kept Starbucks, Best Buy, and Wells Fargo. :)

ahh.. so the POIs take up space eh? lol.

right now, I have the following POIs enabled:

KFC, BK, IKEA, Church's Chicken, Cheesecake Factory, Restaurants, Airports, Border Crossing, Petrol Station, Parking Garage, Open Parking (what's the diff btwn the two anyway?), Rogers Video, Baskin Robbins, Retail Stores, Shopping Centre, Speed Traps.

That sounds like a lot but most aren't inclusive. e.g. there's barely any Baskin Robbins up here, same applies to Cheesecake Factory.

However, they still take up RAM anyway, don't they? Even if they don't show in my local map?

Also, searching for City Centre takes more time than others. If I click Address or Intersection, it goes to the menu immediately. If I click City Centre, it takes a while before the menu pops up.

Yep, all those POI enabled is chewing up your internal RAM. Try disabling a few and testing it. I bet it frees up so you're at 0.4mb (that's where I'm at now.)

What? You aren't satisfied with your v2?!!! :)

The unit seemed to work fine with 0.0mb free, but psychologically I just couldn't handle it, so I disabled some of my POI. :)

Hey Pedro, I hope you post a thread on your thoughts on the ONE since you have a 910. Not really a comparison, but just what you think of the ONE coming from the 910. Since I had both, I'm interested in what you think. :)

Ask a Question