Listening to the radio and still hearing the tomtom?

I recently got a refurbished Tomtom Go 720, and I'm really liking it.

I'm a little disappointed about one main thing, but maybe I just don't know how to do it yet.

If I listen to my car stereo (talk, music) at the same time I'm using my Tomtom, I'm finding that I often can't hear what the tomtom is saying well.

Is there some way of multiplexing the audio from the tomtom with what's on my car stereo - so that when the tomtom needs to say something, the radio program is silenced briefly?

I know I could copy files to an SDHC card and stuff that into the tomtom so I could listen to prerecorded audio, and I may do some of that, but I'd really like to be able to listen to the radio too.

Also, I know an iPod can be connected to a Tomtom 720... but I don't have an iPod. I do however have a little Cowon iAudio X5. I love it - I sometimes use it while driving, I often use it at work to keep surrounding conversations from distracting me, and it makes doing the dishes survivable. To a computer, it looks like just another hard disk, so it tends to be highly interoperable. Can a tomtom see such a device? Is there maybe a cable (OK, maybe it's more of an adapter than just a cable) available somewhere that would look like an SDHC to the tomtom, but look like a mini-USB on the other end? Like the tomtom, I have a little radio transmitter to use with the X5 - what would happen if I tuned both the tomtom and the X5 to the same station? Would they just mess each other up or add to each other's volume, or what?

Thanks!

Ask a Question