Listening to instructions with helmet on

TomTom Model(s)
Go 730
I have been trying to find a solution to hear sat nav instructions and take the odd phone call, this is really secondary whilst riding and using my TT Go 730.
I have bought the following off E-Bay:
BLUETOOTH STEREO 3.5 HEADSET (SKU 5164)
When I receive this I want to find a way to hear the instructions as the earphones never stay in my ears when I put my helmet on.
I have been thinking about Albrecht slim speakers for inside the helmet, Phillips or Sony ear buds, Mono over ear headphone but I am unsure what will be best and whether it will be a big distraction wearing something in both ears whilst riding as I have always been used to listening to the sound of the engine and traffic around me, etc.
Can I please have your views on this?
Cheers, Paul

Head Set Option

I'm not sure how valid the factory solution used by the Rider 2 is for you, but look into adding a communications headset like the Scala Rider. With the Rider 2, it pairs to the Scala for hearing navigation instructions, and if your cell phone will accept voice commands, you may well be able to pair it to either the TomTom or the Scala for your needs.

I wear a full face Shoei and the system works well for me.

jdg

I use the basic Scala Rider that came with the Rider 2nd edition combined with a Shoei Multitec helmet. The headset speaker fits neatly into the lining of the helmet and can easily be heard even at highway speeds. I must admit that having a mono headset does alow you to hear what is going on around you, but with a sterio headset, so long as you don't have your MP3 turned up too loud, you should still hear enough to be safe. I believe that ear plugs / headphones may not be legal in some parts of the world when riding .... so you can hear emergency service sirens I understand.
I experimented with pads of different thicknesses attached to the helmet lining behind the speaker until I found a set-up that alowed me to slip the helmet on, but postioned the speaker close to my ear. In my experience, you need to hear most clearly when riding in cities where you have many changes in direction. Mostly, instructions for these are heard at slower speeds and come through very clearly, however, I had no problems hearing freeway exits when riding at highway speeds in USA.

Clear skies and winding highways from New Zealand

I think the choice of helmet is paramount to obtaining a satisfactory outcome of hearing TT voice instructions clearly & comfortably as some makes you need to wear ear plugs with others not.

Have you tried using a balaclava prior to putting on your lid as this may well hold your ear plug in your ear better?

Needless to say I don't usually bother with the spoken directions and just glance down at the TTR2 display as I found I needed to set the volume higher to hear at speed & it was too loud in town.

Pete

Ask a Question