Listen to phone on external speakers

i AM USING my 910 on a Goldwing with integrated sound system. I have the the audio out going to an RF modulator and everything goes thru my radio. All of the integrated functions work great, externalspeakers, heahsets, intercom etc. The MP3 player and voice directions work perfectly through the syste. However, when I blue tooth connect my Motorola it will not switch to external speaker, I can only hear the phone through the 910 internal speaker. I taped a microphone jack into the circuit for my helmet microphone but do not know if that works or not. Must resolve the speaker problem first. While I am connected and talking with someone I can select Mobile Phone and there is button for Phone Audio. However if you select Phone Audio it instantly breaks your Blue Tooth connection. If you go to Mobile Phone when not talking to someone the Phone Audio button is not present. You get the same results if you just plug in a set of headphones. The cellphone continues to work on internal speaker. Gan the 910 be set up to hear phone calls on an external speaker.

i AM USING my 910 on a Goldwing with integrated sound system. I have the the audio out going to an RF modulator and everything goes thru my radio. All of the integrated functions work great, externalspeakers, heahsets, intercom etc. The MP3 player and voice directions work perfectly through the syste. However, when I blue tooth connect my Motorola it will not switch to external speaker, I can only hear the phone through the 910 internal speaker. I taped a microphone jack into the circuit for my helmet microphone but do not know if that works or not. Must resolve the speaker problem first. While I am connected and talking with someone I can select Mobile Phone and there is button for Phone Audio. However if you select Phone Audio it instantly breaks your Blue Tooth connection. If you go to Mobile Phone when not talking to someone the Phone Audio button is not present. You get the same results if you just plug in a set of headphones. The cellphone continues to work on internal speaker. Gan the 910 be set up to hear phone calls on an external speaker.

I to thought that it would play the voice thru the external speakers. But mine does not either. The only thing that plays thru the external speakers is directions and music. Not 100% sure but I think this is by design. In a car if the voice came out of the externals it may feedback to the microphone.

bad design

I to thought that it would play the voice thru the external speakers. But mine does not either. The only thing that plays thru the external speakers is directions and music. Not 100% sure but I think this is by design. In a car if the voice came out of the externals it may feedback to the microphone.

Thanks for response, probably is design problem. As far as feedback through speakers, This shouyld be no less a problem for internal speakers and internal mic. As for external mic, I do not belive it works at all. Also, do you have the "Phone Audio" selection while you are talking? That is where you should select internal or external speaker. However if you select the button it disconnects the blutooth connection. ????

Pedro,
I could not follow your directions. Could you please explain the steps.

If I may interject Pedro, I'll try and summarize.

EOD1, these are the steps you take:

1. Connect your TomTom to your computer. By connecting your device the 910's hard drive should be recognized as a removable drive on your computer with the name 'TomTom'.

2. Double click that drive. You should now be at the root directory. You should see many folders and files such as North_America or licences. If you do, you're in the right location.

3. Now click on FILE>NEW>TEXT DOCUMENT. This will create a text file in the root of the TomTom drive named by default 'New Text Document.txt'

4. You now need to rename 'New Text Document.txt' to 'enable_lineout_hands_free' (type that without the quotes and it is case sensitive). If you did the renaming right, you will get a message saying:

'If you change a file name extension, the file name may become unusable. Are you sure you want to change it?'

You want to click yes to that message.

Thats it!

Pedro, I hope I did you justice :eek:

Last edited:
Nice explanation. Im glad you posted this before I had a chance too.

However for EOD1, I noticed you have a 910. Everything is the same except:

You don't have an SD card and you won't see the file US_and_Canada because the 910 has the North America folder.

Follow the rest and you should be fine.

If there is a specific step that confuses you or you get stuck, please let us know.

Nice explanation. Im glad you posted this before I had a chance too.

However for EOD1, I noticed you have a 910. Everything is the same except:

You don't have an SD card and you won't see the file US_and_Canada because the 910 has the North America folder.

Follow the rest and you should be fine.

If there is a specific step that confuses you or you get stuck, please let us know.

Edited orignal post. Thank you for clarifying.

Another method to create the file is to copy a file, for example: ttsystem file, from your GO 910 or 510. Paste and rename the file to 'enable_lineout_hands_free'

Phone calls through car stero speakers

I have a stock, out of the box 910. Have not preformed any software updates as of yet. I had my audio shop mold my 910 into the dash and use the stero connection wire to connect it to my stero system. I can play my ipod (using the ipod connector) get directions, and use the onboard media player all through my speakers.

What i cant do is get it to play the phone calls through my speaker! the voice comes out from the speaker inside the tomtom which is pretty quiet. I looked into the speaker options but it takes me to the same option screen as where you configure the music and directions speaker preferences - no option to get the phone call through the 'external speaker'.

I'm going to preform the software updates this weekend, and i'll try and take some pictures of my custom install to show off for the forum, but any additional comments are much appreciated!

-J

I would first make a backup of your 910 if you haven't done so already. Then follow these steps:

1. Connect your TomTom to your computer. By connecting your device the 910's hard drive should be recognized as a removable drive on your computer with the name 'TomTom'.

2. Double click that drive. You should now be at the root directory. You should see many folders and files such as North_America or licences. If you do, you're in the right location.

3. Now click on FILE>NEW>TEXT DOCUMENT. This will create a text file in the root of the TomTom drive named by default 'New Text Document.txt'

4. You now need to rename 'New Text Document.txt' to 'enable_lineout_hands_free' (type that without the quotes and it is case sensitive). If you did the renaming right, you will get a message saying:

'If you change a file name extension, the file name may become unusable. Are you sure you want to change it?'

You want to click yes to that message.
Thats it!, you should be able to listen to phone calls through your external speakers.

Ditto D-F. I learned that trick here and it works great. I get all my phone calls right through the car stereo speakers.

hello and welcome aboard!
I would love to see pictures of your tomtom setup!
I agree with DF. 1st make a backup, a full back up including your voices. then do the file for the phone calls. It works well!

Ditto D-F. I learned that trick here and it works great. I get all my phone calls right through the car stereo speakers.

Can this be done with the 510 also?

I have my TomTom510 hardwired but it is only the charger and the mic is ran as well, I have no idea how one would hard wire it to get it to play through the speakers of my car instead of the internal speaker.

Can someone explain how to do this?

Here is my GO510:

tomtompic5.jpg

tomtompic4.jpg

Thanks guys,

I usually use ubuntu, has anyone tried to run the software through a linux emulator? Worth trying? Maybe i'll just boot to windows...

I've already connected to the tomtom via its cradle, it mounts just like a normal external hard drive. I threw a few MP3's on there. If i try to back it all up now will it backup the mp3's as well? Can i stop it from doing that as that would be a waste of space?

I'll take pictures tomorrow of the custom mount, its pretty trick. The unit is flush with a new panel in the center/top of the dash. Still removable. Hands free mic is wired up through the A piller to come out right between driver and passengers head. Unit is hard wired directly into the stero and power. It matches the silver and dark grey of my interior too!

-J

Ask a Question