Limitation on number of Favorites

TomTom Model(s)
930T
I have a TomTom 930T.

It seems to have a crippling limitation on the number of Favorites that are allowed.

It seems to only let me have 32 or so.

It's crazy that the TomTom, which has several MB of free space internally, and can accept multi-GB SD cards, would have such a low limit on Favorites!

A shame, too, because the TomTom has a nice menu search system that lets you narrow down a list by typing some letters in the name. You can see this with the list of cities in a state, or the list of zip codes. Both of these lists have thousands of entries, and the TomTom handles them just fine.

So, is there any way to increase the number of Favorites?

Thanks! Would love to know how.

I thought that the max was 50 which is small however their is an unlimited number of POI'S that you cn save. Go to change preferences then right arrow, then manage POIs. At this point make a catagory that looks like _my_favorites. Now from this screen you can add mulitiple favorites to this catagory. You will also see that by doing this as shown the catagory will be the first listed under the catagories. You should put into your favarite area only those locations that you use ALL THE TIME. All other favorites that you use most of the time can be put into the new catagory made. One of the benefits of using this new catagory for your favorites is the fact that when you download a new map your favorite catagory will not be lost and you can put an unlimited number of POIs into this catagory. Recently people were having problems when downloading a new map of losing your everyday favorites. With the _my_favorites you will NOT lose pois stored here. Good luck

The maximum number of Favourites is 48.

You can download poiedit from poiedit.com, open the mapsettings.cfg (found in the map folder) and see all your favourites listed in the file. you can save them as points in a custom poi category as doctor spelled out.

The advantage of having favourites in a poi file is that you can just copy the file to a new map when you update without worrying about trying to retrieve a saved mapsettings.cfg file and hope a new application will read the data in it. Latest applications don't work well with retrieved .cfg files, many have found.

Use the custom POI options as mentioned by the previous posts, they are more reliable and you get the advantage the POI file can hold thousands of individual locations, also each location can have a phone number associated with it (try doing that with Favourites).
The custom POI files are also much easier to move between devices/ map upgrades, if you do change to using the ov2 format (custom POI) name your ov2 file "_My_Favourites" notice the "_" at the start of the file name, this makes sure the POI category is always at the top of the list making it easier to find when using the device - Mike

Thanks for the POI tip. Will try migrating all of my Favorites to a custom POI category soon.

This has been my biggest gripe with TomTom. I don't understand why they would limit the amount of favorites. So, I did what others have suggested and made my own POI category...but I'm still not satisfied. I have almost a 100 locations saved in one POI category. The problem I've noticed is that when you are at a location and try to select another location in that POI category, it only shows the first 30-40 (I don't remember the exact number) locations that are closest to your current location. Is there a way to see all the POI saved in that one POI category? If I can get this fixed so I can see all of my accounts listed in that category, I'll be much happier.

In any poi category, only the first 48 (there's that number again ....) will get displayed.

BUT......................

If you use the 'Find' button and type a portion of the name of an item, all the items in that category will get listed, not limited to just 48. And it doesn't have to be some letters at the beginnig of the name you need to type, either.

So, this should work for your favourites poi category. When you enter a name for the point to get saved as, provide the same letter, say 'z' in the point for each one. Then find 'z' and all the items with the z will get listed, not just 48.

Make sense?

Last edited:
That's great. You'd think TomTom customer support would have answers like this. I've called them numerous times over the last few years and no one has been able to help me. Actually, a couple of customer service reps didn't even know that there was a cap on the number of favorites. Thanks again :)

Remember, we're talking poi category, not Favorites, here. The cap on Favorites is 48.

I know we are talking POI, but when I inquired with TomTom a couple of customer service reps didn't know that there was a cap on favorites.

In any poi category, only the first 48 (there's that number again ....) will get displayed.

BUT......................

If you use the 'Find' button and type a portion of the name of an item, all the items in that category will get listed, not limited to just 48. And it doesn't have to be some letters at the beginnig of the name you need to type, either.

So, this should work for your favourites poi category. When you enter a name for the point to get saved as, provide the same letter, say 'z' in the point for each one. Then find 'z' and all the items with the z will get listed, not just 48.

Make sense?
dhn,
I have given the above tip my best shot. I still get only 48 poi's listed when there must be 70+ in my category.
I have used Find in every menu item I can pull up but still get the 48.

Has something changed in software from the time you offered that tip back in June was it? Did it ever work for the GO 930 or was that another model?
Thanks,
Bill

All I can say is that it used to be able to show more than 48 if you used the 'Find' option. Perhaps, in TT's wisdom, latest applications figure there is no reason why you'd want to know where the 49th or higher would be located since the distance would be quite far from your location. Don't know for sure.

Hello
I have a GO 720 and was also furious about the favorites limitation.
Luckly I found this thread and since them, have been using POIs instead of favorites.

One minor question/confirmation:

with favorites, I need to:
1) tap once on the display
2) Navigate to...
3) Favorite

with POIs, I need to:
1) tap once on the display
2) Navigate to...
3) Point of Interest
4) POI near you or POI near Home, etc
5) My favorites

Two extra steps.

Is there any other way to jump to _my_favorites POI faster?

Thanks

That's the way it's designed, I'm afraid. But you can have an unlimited number of points in that category, not just 48 as with favourites.

Ask a Question