Lifetime Traffic & Maps Edition

TomTom Model(s)
550 XXL
But when I try to update the maps, it tells me that I have to pay $12.95

What gives?? Is this a case of False Advertising when it is marked clearly that is Life Time Free Upgrades?
robert

Have you registered your device on the TomTom site with the activation code for lifetime maps provided in your package of materials?

I reconnected by XXL and re-installed my activation code and now it is downloading updated maps.
WHICH MEANS DO NOT LOSE YOUR ACTIVATION CODE EVER. Or you will not be able to do your updates. That is truly shameful. So, if I lose my code I am out of luck. That should not be in todays databases. Once it is registered we should not have to continue re-entering the activation code.

I recommend putting the code on a label stuck to the back of the device (ideally TomTom would do that for us).

I've only had to enter the code once, and it was easy to find :)

No Code?

We purchased our TT XXL550 about a year ago. At that time we had no internet to update the lifetime free maps, so now that we have satellite internet I (wife) decided to get on the wagon and update it now. Found the box, there was not any paperwork in it at all, just the TT and 2 cables. How do I recover my activation code? Shouldn't it be attached to my TT serial no., and be able to acquire it somehow? What about the folders on the TT itself, is it hidden somewhere there? Or am I just running myself in circles and I can't update now that we have no code in the box. :confused:
:(

The code is only on a sheet of paper specifically about the lifetime maps and included in the box your TomTom came with. The code is not in the instruction book or on the unit itself. If you have misplaced or thrown out that paper you are probably out of luck here sorry to say. :(

We purchased our TT XXL550 about a year ago. At that time we had no internet to update the lifetime free maps, so now that we have satellite internet I (wife) decided to get on the wagon and update it now. Found the box, there was not any paperwork in it at all, just the TT and 2 cables. How do I recover my activation code? Shouldn't it be attached to my TT serial no., and be able to acquire it somehow? What about the folders on the TT itself, is it hidden somewhere there? Or am I just running myself in circles and I can't update now that we have no code in the box. :confused:
:(

I believe that maps with version 7 or higher (which you probably have but I am not sure since yours is 1 year old) are activated automatically when you use TomTom Home.

See this link and see if following the instructions there, will help.

Or, try calling TomTom Customer Service 866-486-6866 and ask them to walk you through the process.

Ask a Question