Lifetime maps not honored.

Here is the entire contents of the .pna file...
ID=United_States_2GB.pna
build=5563
id=1534047

Neither 860 nor 930 cause any map update to be offered.

Last edited:
Did some web searching and found one post that said you have to first create a folder called 'screen' in root with an empty file named 'capture' inside that folder.

After doing that, the capture performed successfully.
Attached
That is very good. Your application and OS are completely up-to-date.

Since you have such an old map I considered the possibility that the app was never updated which did not allow maps to be installed after June 2012.

Sorry if I came on a bit harsh but canderson is our ace and it can be frustrating not to get the proper feed back to confidently suggest the nest step.

OK. Here's the deal. Your map is only 2 versions old -- 940 is current and the one that Home should offer to you when you connect your unit. There HAVE been recent instance where it will offer both an old and a new map, so care should be exercised when accepting what it offers (when it does).

Let's get back to this post of yours and see if we can wrap this up without having you call tech support.

Well, we are now into a typical TomTom screwup. I decided to NOT directly delete the map, so I removed it within Home. I then tried an update and (I think I remember that) it said it had to have a map. The removal was very quick--surprised me.
That is probably because your 930 map was already on the PC, so rather than 'move' it, Home probably just killed the directory entry on the 540.

So I used Home and put USA_Canada_Mexico_P v860.3121 (2010 map) on it. Remember, it had USA before as a fix after the previous snafu.
When you used Home, DID YOU use "Update my XXL" or whatever similar button you have on your version, allowing Home to go out to the TomTom server to see what was current for your unit? This should have been done while there was NO map resident on your unit.

Update then said only thing needed! was Mapshare, and offers no updates to the map itself! This is quite crazy as I have not updated the USA_Canada_Mexico map for a LONG time--it is a 2010 map.
That's likely because there was already a map on the device. I'm trying to see what Home will offer you for map options when you select "Update" if there is NO map already resident. In somewhat gorier detail, here is what TomTom would have you do to retrieve the most current map from the server >>> https://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16216

During the update process, Home should be offering you the latest map that it can deliver. HOWEVER, since the 940 map is larger than any but the most absolutely stripped down unit can accommodate, what I'm hoping is that it offers zoned maps so that you won't have to remove things from your 540 and play clean-up with it. This issue was just resolved at TomTom about two weeks ago. What we're trying to do here is avoid the call to Tech Support.

Last edited:
See this link to see what happens when zoned maps are finally offered >>> https://www.tomtomforums.com/threads/issues-problems-with-install-of-map-940.30623/#post-181533

In fact, that whole thread may be worth a read. As you can see, a lot of folks got bit trying to update to 940 before zoned maps were available, and unwinding that took quite a bit of doing. In fact, just another word of caution .. odds are slim that the new map will fit onto your unit, even after a total clean-up, so be careful NOT to load a full continental map if it is offered.

Very much appreciate the notice about 940 not fitting--though I do think TT should offer a full version (all roads) but stripped of something else less useful that roads that would allow it to fit 2GB units and remain "what we bought"-updated (which we bought also). I agree it probably will not fit on mine since I ran into the 'too big' issue even on a previous version.

To answer some of your previous questions..

When you used Home, DID YOU use "Update my XXL" or whatever similar button you have on your version, allowing Home to go out to the TomTom server to see what was current for your unit?

No. That one was using Home to copy a copy that was on the computer into the device--not an "Update my XXL"--which was not offering anything, the basic issue of this thread.

I attempted the "Update my XXL" process again this morning with 930 as still on the 540. Results still are the image as in the OP and the words "Your device is up-to-date" and "No items available."

I am posting this now and going to read the links you provided.

Just for keeping information current here, I am using Home to put USA 930 vice USA_Canada_Mexico 860, back on the device, from computer not by update.

I may have to take a trip tomorrow to a city where some interstate intersections changed drastically a year or so ago--so I need a map with those in it.

Last edited:
Hmm.. link working OK at the moment. When you get a chance, try following those directions (click on 'Devices using TomTom HOME'), and it will have you remove maps from both the device and the PC. Just be SURE you have your 930 map manually backed up somewhere first where Home can't see it.

OK, I will do a manual, copy all the folders, back up of 930 which is now on the device.
LATER: Ah the manual backup I previously did is the 930 file, so good to go on that point.
Gosh these transfers take a LONG time!

And other than doing these manual backups, is there no way to tell Home to keep the maps on the computer? (If not, I suggest a modification!)

Do you think I should do the format FAT32 thing mentioned in several posts in the other thread?

Last edited:
Yes, if you use Home to do the work (Manage my XXL or whatever), you can save them off to the PC. However, what we are trying to achieve is a situation where Home doesn't see/want/know about prior maps -- you'll note that in TomTom's own instructions. We want to force it to download a map - preferably, a zoned one!

As to the formatting business -- it might work, but not for long. The guys who have done this have been right back at the hairy edge afterward, and these maps aren't going to get anything but bigger over time. So it solved their problem before the zoned maps were made available to them back in the 2nd week of December, but it's certainly not a long term fix. Eventually, they'll be in zone-land, too, perhaps even with the next map update.

OK, the link started working for me too.

Well HIGHLY interesting things to report. I backed up (not using Home) everything I could find--which were in C:\.....Home\Downloads and in another folder I don't remember.

Then I deleted all from device and from computer (not the manual saves).

Then I commanded "Update my XXL" in Home.
I am offered USA 930.5563 and USA, Canada & Mexico 860.3121.

(At least I did not get the 'buy" offer as shown in the OP)

Note that last one
860 is a November 2010 version. I am being offered a 2010 update.
And the offered USA one is not current (940) either
(I guess because it is too big--actually a good thing really, but would be nice to be informed of such).
And not offered the zone maps.

Last edited:
United States
866 486 6866
Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EDT
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EDT

Web page does not list Sat hours for me
United States
888-619-9661
(English only)
Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EDT

But I didn't see yours until after 6pm anyway.

Things are always interesting at TomTom

That number is only for the newer models (referred to as Nav4), not yours. The number I provided applies.

UPDATE: Contact with support today.
a. There was an update to the Home application which I suspect was due to all this 'maps too big' issue.

b. Support person reset some authorizations on my account--removed my authorization for USA-only map, and updated the 3-country authorization so I would not continue to be offered v860 .

c. Download of >>> v941 <<< 3 country is in process.

d. He also insisted that I unplug from computer and do a soft reset of the device (power button down until drums, then release) after the update finishes.

All good stuff. Let us know how it goes with the download and installation. He thinks US/Can/Mex will still fit when you're done? Good that they got 860 dumped.
The 'map too big' was real enough. If you compared available space less some for checking new code, the math just didn't work for 940 for a lot of people. Some sort of dance was required to get a map onto these units.

Install completed.
I tried to ask the tech about all the discussion that full U_C_M maps don't fit 2GB devices, and that zone maps are now offered. English was not his first language, and all his answers were not answers---did not get anywhere close to an answer ...."Let me assure you that...."

Windows says I have 5.62MB free--it BARELY fit.

There was another problem...doing the soft reset as requested by the support tech hosed the Quickfix. It was not on the device any more nor was it offered for download.

I found this which solved it
http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/XL-XXL-HOME/No-GPS-Quick-Fix-download-available/td-p/82983

"...go into Home -> Manage my device and delete the item Quickgpsfix data on the gps and computer. Then open the gps drive with windows explorer, go to the folder called "ephem" and if there are any files in there, delete all of them . Next perform an update.

Note: if you perform a reset on the gps you will have to do this again. Because one of the files in the ephem folder gets deleted and it screws up the update."

The 'official' release was map 940. 941 is evidently an interim 'fix' for the 2GB issue, pared down ever so slightly. Now what we'll want to hear from you is what happens when 945 is offered in February.

The 'official' release was map 940. 941 is evidently an interim 'fix' for the 2GB issue, pared down ever so slightly. Now what we'll want to hear from you is what happens when 945 is offered in February.

I fully expect it eiher to crash or to be offered zones. Surely by then they will have this nailed down.

Here is the version I got.
ID=USA_Canada_and_Mexico.pna
build=6127
id=1690536

Ask a Question