Life Time Updates

TomTom Model(s)
740 Live (not Used), Iphone 4 with TomTom & Navigon and TomTom Car Kit (not used)
:confused: Ok, once again I seem to be a little out of date. Last week I purchased a 740 live. Does the new announcement of life time traffic and map updates leave me out in the cold with this brand new unit? Can anyone spell out the new program, please any help would be grateful.:)

Too early to say. The 740 TM (lifetime traffic/lifetime maps) model won't be available until May, and at least one source is saying it will offer two versions of traffic: Paid subscription "live" like you have now, but including RDS/TMC free for the life of the device. That isn't coming directly from TomTom tho, so we'll wait on their clarification.

Of course the maps and traffic aren't truly free. The upcharge is roughly $120 for the "free maps and traffic". If you only keep the 740 for about 18 months-2 years, considered normal, then you really didn't save anything by purchasing the TM version. So would I be concerned? No, not really. I'll bet you'll have your eye on some other nav device or method before two years passes by.

Too early to say. The 740 TM (lifetime traffic/lifetime maps) model won't be available until May, and at least one source is saying it will offer two versions of traffic: Paid subscription "live" like you have now, but including RDS/TMC free for the life of the device. That isn't coming directly from TomTom tho, so we'll wait on their clarification.

Of course the maps and traffic aren't truly free. The upcharge is roughly $120 for the "free maps and traffic". If you only keep the 740 for about 18 months-2 years, considered normal, then you really didn't save anything by purchasing the TM version. So would I be concerned? No, not really. I'll bet you'll have your eye on some other nav device or method before two years passes by.

Thank you for the information. Amazon has the units that will be included in the life time update. From the other site:
Posted - 30 Mar 2010 : 06:14:25
Available right now only through Amazon. This search pops up all the available models.

Amazon.com: tomtom lifetime maps: Electronics

( I hope the link works)

I keep on reading all the problems people are having with TomTom. All I can say is years ago I had a HP Pocket PC running the first addition of windows mobile and an outboard receiver running co-piolt. Back then I made the switch to TomTom software then to an all in one, I have had a 700 something, 910,, 920, 930, and now a 740 live. Yes there have been issues especially with the BT connection on Verizon then on AT&T. Every time I have called and tried to figure it out they Service once I got to them, have either solved the problem right then and their or they have gotten back to me fast with the solution. to say I never will buy another TomTom product because of poor service, well that is simply an attitude problem. You know the more flies with Honey and sugar than hot sauce. And please note I have called for some rather stupid reasons. Including searching for a re-set button on the 740. Know I know holding it down for 10 sec while driving is a no no. Its has to be 20 seconds, and bingo the unit returned to normal function after a complete black out. So maybe TomTom should put a better feature manual with the units.

Yes even if I do not get the life time updates, I will keep buying the product, why because I like the company and I like the product. Invest a little time with your TomTom and learn it before you crash it.

Those considering the XXL540S "World Traveler" edition might well want to wait until April for the XXL540TM when this model becomes available. Although it comes out at $299, if they're really offering map updates to BOTH the Euro and North American maps (in addition to the traffic subscription), that's quite an additional extra cost avoided. The added up-front cost, as far as I can see, is ZERO. The S and TM are both $299 from Amazon.

Anyone think there's a pricing mistake at Amazon? Will it sell at this price at release?

Canderson, I'm going to guess that the map updates will only be for the continent where purchased. But they could surprise.

Canderson, I'm going to guess that the map updates will only be for the continent where purchased. But they could surprise.
The whole point of buying a 2 continent unit is to use it on 2 continents, and barring any exclusions on the packaging (that we haven't seen yet), they're really on the hook for both. I would imagine that they'd be so far afoul of trade practices acts in Europe that they'd never consider trying to get away with a stunt like that.

Still, the $299 with the updates beats the previous $299 without updates. If anyone is considering purchasing one, it's still a better deal with the update service if they can delay the purchase a bit.

This is certainly what has been happening with the LMG for those with 930 units in Europe vs those purchased in NA. Europeans seemed to have a much easier time getting their Western_Europe AND NA LMG than North americans who experienced a hassle tring to get the Western_Europe updated as well as the North American one. Mind you, I know that on a case by case basis, some here did get both maps updated.

Newbie w/ 740TM on reserve.

Have a 740TM on reservation with Amazon.com, supposedly to reach me May 19.

After several emails TT Tech Spt and Sales confirmed that the 740 has built in antenna and will receive Free Traffic Services that way, but with the Live subscription the built in cell antenna receives traffic services that will take precedence. Lifetime Free Maps and Lifetime Free Traffic, does not mean the Traffic portion of the Live Services sold separately are free past the intro 90day.

I looked long and hard at the XXL540 TM with the NA and EU combo, larger screen. But, no BT handsfree is turn off. Here in NV I work for Metro PD and lot of emphasis on distracted driving. With my wife doing Real Estate and driving all over valley BT Handsfree is a must I fear.

So now I am getting a unit with 2GB mem built in, BT hands free, but no EU maps preinstalled. That leaves me with some questions.

1. Since the 740 only comes with NA map I have picked up 8GB MicroSD card to use in the 740 and would like to move the installed NA map to the SD Card to free up space on the 2GB unit installed memory. Then next Fall when we go to GB & EU for our anniversary I will buy the 2GB Central EU & etc map. Can I install both on that SD card? (I should have 4GB space free on the card afterwards if yes.)

2. When I have both maps installed in their own separate and distinct directories I assume, how do I select which map to use?

3. Any trick on picking/creating directories using Win XP SP3?

4. Using TT Home, do maps copy directly to unit or to PC first? Or should I not even screw with TT Home?

Thanks all for your help. This is my first GPS and I have a lot of questions because I don't want to screw up the first time I charge the TT battery -- would be just my luck :)

Chuck

Last edited:
Welcome to TTF!

As soon as you receive the 740, make an Explorer, not Home, backup of the unit's contents. If not sure how, see here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

1. Yep, both maps will live happily on the same sdhc mini card. Use Explorer to move the USA_Canada map folder to the card. The Western_Europe map will be installed on the card (see point 4 below)

2. When both maps are on the card, on your unit, Preferences-->Manage Maps, switch maps and you should see both listed. Just select the Western_Europe map. Actually, a more transparent way for this to occur is when you turn on your unit in Europe, TT will essentially tell you that, based upon your (then) lat/long [when it picks up your gps signal], the USA_Canada map isn't appropriate and offer to switch over to the other map itself.

3. When the European map is installed on your card (again, see point 4), the map folder will get created on the card. Nothing for you to do.

4. With the card installed in your unit, when you connect to Home (the software), it'll detect the card's existence and initially ask if you want internal or external selected, you pick external. Then go to Add maps, select the European map, purchase it and Home will initially dl it to the computer (all dl's from TT initially go on the computer) and install on the card. At least, it should. There is a bug in home such that despite the user selecting one location, Home tries to install on both or the other. Happens sometimes.

If indeed the unit comes when you expect, make sure you've checked here to see if map 850 has been released. It is due in a couple of weeks, so you don't want to blow your Latest Map Guarantee on updating to the current 845 just to find that 850 is released within a couple of days.

And always make another Explorer backup (different folder) whenenver a new map is installed.

Many thanks.

You know, not to get all damp eyed or anything, :) but it is really refreshing to get a professional and detailed answer. I went to one of the auto user groups I had joined some time before, but then bought a new car and in retrospect asked a question answered many times before -- and had my head handed to me.

Again, thanks for the great reply and courtesy.

Chuck

You are welcome. One of our supermods, mvl, has a 740 so he'll be able to answer questions you may have about your unit when it arrives.

As a matter of fact, he got his 740 from another supermod, gatorguy, so for sure you're in good hands (but not Allstate :D ) here.

I'll be glad to help with whatever questions you have when it arrives.

But one quick correction to DHN's post:

If indeed the unit comes when you expect, make sure you've checked here to see if map 850 has been released. It is due in a couple of weeks, so you don't want to blow your Latest Map Guarantee on updating to the current 845 just to find that 850 is released within a couple of days.

You don't need to wait on a TM model. TM models don't have the 30 day limit, you can download new maps whenever they are offered once you key your "lifetime maps" serial code into HOME.

Amazon Fiasco

Thought I'd give a little "early adopter" update. Ordered the TT-740TM via Amazon on 4/30. Release date 5/17 paid extra for 2day shipping so would be here on 5/19. 5/17 Amazon status changed to receipt date of 6-7 to 6-10. No shipping date specified. This AM, I see they now estimate shipping "one to two months" after order.

On 5/18 I saw Amazon.com had another vendor whose Amazon Store Front showed items in stock, price $20 cheaper than Amazon, but I had to pay for regular shipping ($4.99) so I ordered there on 5/18 Shipping to be in 2 days (5/20) = today. Get no response to three emails to this new seller. I have no idea whether I will see something or not.

This AM, went to TT site they show the 740TM as out of stock (a fact I have problem adsorbing since they still show the TT-740 as available.) I phoned their customer service and they said that in addition to Amazon, Target.com has new 740TM in stock.

Called Target.com cust svc, and could have had more success talking to a stuffed rabbit. They say yes they have in stock, but don't know if it's the new 740TM or just the 740. But that I can order and return to any Target store if incorrect model. So, I may end up with three or none. Time will tell.

Unbelievable.

Will let you know how the saga continues.

Chuck:confused:

There's something going on with at least some of the TM models, but I don't have any idea what it is. If I was to guess, Tomtom is pulling them because firmware to support the lifetime maps and traffic won't be ready until after the middle of June. But that's just my " un-edjamacated" guess.

From the 335TM at Amazon:

Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible

Ask a Question