Life span of a TomTom 700

Thanks for that, but my comment was, except I would have preferred to have brought it up to date. It certainly ain't broke, merely would have liked an update, as explained in my 3rd post.

If you're happy with it and still able to update maps when desired, why fix what ain't broke?

As above.

As for 'up to date', there hasn't been any firmware update for that device for a very long time. So we know that can't be what was being offered. In fact, all you would expect on a 700 at this point might be the occasional 'Mapshare' updates to add to your existing map. As long as you have full manual backups to your PC as mentioned above, there's no ditch apart from hardware failure from which recovery isn't possible. A 'Mapshare' certainly isn't an 'important update', so I still suspect what you're being offered is an update to Home, which has indeed been updated a couple of times in recent years.

Well, yes and no. If you still want Mapshare updates in the future, it may be necessary to allow Home to update itself.

You've convinced me. Done the update & back-up & all seems to be okay. Going through the options in Home, apparently I can still get map updates? quarterly for £13+, minimum 12 months subs, app £56. But, as I've already pointed out, the last time..................

Indeed, maps are still being made available for even the oldest TomTom units. Apart from a hardware failure, that's really what defines "life span" on these units, and we're pleased to see that they are still supported.

Of course, with a full manual backup, you've got all the files, and it's a piece of cake to grab the previous map for use until any failure to install could be sorted. Whether new maps make sense depends entirely upon the age of your current map and whether or not the areas in which you drive tend to be very stable or undergoing road changes that make navigation inconvenient. If you're not running into issues with new or reconfigured roads where you drive, it's probably not worth it.

Ask a Question