Legality of Windshield Mounting

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One V2 US
I've seen it mentioned on the Forum that windshield mounts are prohibited in California, and also that GPS cannot be used at all in Quebec.

I was wondering which US states have similar restrictions, and found this page, which notes that windshield mounts are also prohibited in Minnesota, and lists regulations from other states that may apply, depending on the interpretation:

http://www.gpspro.biz/vehiclecodes

Does anyone know of any restrictions not listed - in Europe, for example?

Bill

Windshield mounts is allowed in the EU and Switzerland+Lichtenstein, but the use of radar detectors is strictly forbiden. Switzerland and I think also Germany prohibit the use of the radar camera poi's built in in GPS devices.

Thanks for posting this. It's something I hadn't thought about. I'm traveling to Texas next week. how do I interpret the following:

RESTRICTIONS ON WINDOWS. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person commits an offense that is a misdemeanor:
(1) if the person operates a motor vehicle that has an object or material that is placed on or attached to the windshield or side or rear window and that obstructs or reduces the operator's clear view;

Does this mean I can't use a windshield mount in my rental car? Or can I use it providing it doesn't obstruct my vision?

Any thoughts most appreciated!

I'm not a lawyer (although some of my friends think I should have been), but I would take the "and" in the middle of that statement to mean that if the suction cup doesn't obstruct the driver's view, there's no infringement.

I use a dashboard mount in my car (thanks, Pedro!), but take a suction mount with me for rental cars, which is what triggered my original post.

I expect you could show that you had a "clear view" if the suction cup and TomTom fell inside the line of sight of the car hood (rather than obscuring any part of the road) when seen from the driver's normal driving position.

I just checked in my car, which has quite a short hood, and if I sit up very straight the suction cup doesn't hide any of the road ahead.

Bill

Bill is right. You can't have the unit blocking your view but it may be attached to the windshield. (you're welcome for the DB disk) :)

Thanks for your responses. If I get pulled over you can be sure I'll post about it. Murphy's Law and I seem to be good buddies.

Ask a Question