Latest XXL Voices

Hi,

I have just bought the latest XXL after using tomtom 6 on my old PDA. I have a lot of Celeb voices which do not seem to transfer to the new tomtom.

I have tried downloading other from the web but they don't seem to work. I am Extracting and downloading to the Voices file.

I am clearly doing somthing wrong - any help would be appreciated. I have used Liz Whittaker for a long time and would like to continue to do so but this voice is not in the tomtom range. By the way, I can download the voices directly from tomtom Home but the ones I want are not available there.

Thanks.

PS I was in a vehicle recently where the driver used a tomtom which voice alerted the change of speed limit ie said 30mph when reaching that section etc. Driver did not own the satnav and did not know how the voice instruction was aquired - any ideas???

If the voices you previously used were purchased voices, they won't work on a new unit. just like maps only work on one unit.

If they were freebees, then make sure both the .vif and .chk file are in the voices folder (all lower case for the folder name).

Thanks for that,

They were freebies originally and the extraction process shows the files and also then shows them in the device voices folder but when I go into change voices within the tomtom device they do not appear.

Don't know if this will help but do a reset of your unit (hold the power button for about 15 seconds)

Thanks for that,

They were freebies originally and the extraction process shows the files and also then shows them in the device voices folder but when I go into change voices within the tomtom device they do not appear.

Did you select english voice or whatever the case may be. I transfered freebies to my 740 form my 510 and they would not show up at first. When you select english voices for U.S. or British that may correct the problem. This is especially true if the voices are showing up in TT Home.

Hi,

There does not appear to be an option on the XXL to do that. The voices I downloaded from Tomtom Home show ok and I have also downloaded voices for the speed camera alerts which are stored in the Sounds file and they work fine.

The default voices are a mixture of a number of languages.

When you look in the voices folder, what data number is represented for Liz? (look at each .vif file in Notepad till you see her name)

Thanks for taking the trouble to help.

All 3 files show 75.

On my old unit they were 85 although I have tried downloading a free file from the web which I think is now the one showing.

Just to confuse things further, when I look into the device voices file I find that the files I extracted and sent to that folder are themselves in a folder and not showing in the same way as all the others???

Well, they must be in the voices folder to be 'seen' by the application. There should be only one voices folder on your unit.

If you still need the Liz Whittaker voice files send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send the three files over as I have them on the PC and they are free from copywrite etc.

As for the device reading out the road speed, I am not aware of any TomTom that can offer anything other than a simple beep when exceeding the road speed limit, what you might have heard is a Speed Camera voice warning which will tell you the type of camera and its applicable speed as you approach it, these additional voice warnings are also available as a full set of warnings recorded by Liz Whittaker a number of years ago, they are named to match the PocketGPSWorld.com speed camera database - Mike

Ask a Question