Latest map guarantee has expired???

Latest map guarantee has expired on brand new One XLS

I just recieved my NEW One XLS from Amazon, connected it to my computer, installed Home and then received a message that my 30 day guarantee has either expired or the device was not sold with the LMG.

Does this mean that I received a refurb instead of a new one? How can I tell? :confused:

Last edited:
Well, refurbs in North America do not come with the LMG. You can call support at 866-486-6866 and they'll probably be able to tell you if you provide the serial number.

Was the box previously opened? Perhaps you got one someone returned after they updated it. You should still have your LMG though. Call Tech support and have your receipt with you.

The little round sticker on the front of box was folded under the flap instead of being on the outside, everything inside was still wrapped and sealed though.

I spoke with TomTom, the guy I was talking to could not confirm if my unit was a refurb from the serial #, but it was manufactured in the last half of 2008. I can get the map update if I fax my receipt to them, but what I really like to know is if Amazon gave me a refurb when I paid the price of a new device.

I bought a refurb on line before Christmas but from Radio Shack. It was clearly marked "refurbished". At that time it came with a map update but that has since been discontinued. Check the box, the invoice, and see if anywhere on the materials you see an "R" or the word refurbished. If you can verify it is then you have a beef with Amazon not TT. Regardless let support know what your situation is and often they are pretty good about dealing with issues like this. In all honesty most refurbs are really "repackaged" according to a friend who is in the business. He says most are returned because people buy but do not like, cannot figure out the technology, or simply change their mind. Repaired units are included but not the majority of the supply. Because these units are given more "special" attention there is a better chance of a unit not having a problem when you get it so that may make you feel a bit better.
One question.....does the price seem very cheap for a new unit or in line with what they are retailing for elsewhere?

Last edited:
Well, Amazon's prices will usually beat out the B&M stores, and most online prices too. I paid about hallf the retail price posted at TomTom, but Amazon was also selling refurb units for about $80 below what I paid for my "new' one.

Ask a Question