Latest 835 maps don't work with XL 340S yet?

Just got an XL 340S yesterday, preloaded with 8.25 maps and tried to update my maps. Just like some others in the forum, I got the issue that the maps haven't been authenticated. I decided to contact Tom Tom support and got this reply:

"We are experiencing a technical issue that will not allow this map to be downloaded properly onto your device without requesting an activation code. As soon as this issue is resolved, we will add the latest maps to your account. We have added the version 8.30 maps to your account to be download until we can provide you with the latest maps. The 8.30 maps were released 3 months ago."

So maybe there are issues with these maps as well, as they are fairly new. Anyone with a XL 340S actually get 835 working properly?

The v835 map when added to the software already installed to your device is too large to fit on the available memory hence the problem, if/ when they get around to resolving this a new 835 map will be produced that will fit on the available space within the device - hy this has been allowed to happen for the second map release is not well known but its far from clever - Mike

Is it really the case of not fitting? I cleared off some room by getting rid of unused voices and what not and it installed without a single issue, leaving 55 MB left. I just couldn't use the map because it said it wasn't authenticated. But it never complained there wasn't enough space.

The error message you are seeing is misleading. From my conversations with tech support, they tell me the real error is that the map is too big for the device. The 8.35 map is 1989 MB, and the unit is only 2GB (2000 MB); therfore, there is not enough room for the maps even if you remove all of the other items.

It's hard to believe they again released maps that won't fit.

Ask a Question