Lat/Long Question And Blueish Opening Screen

Hello,

Have a XXL 540 TM.

a. I know that you can enter Favorites/POI with Lat/Lon.

Can one just show or point to some location on a map, and see what its Lat and Lon are ?

b. Sometimes, when first turning on the unit, the screen has an overall Blue(ish) color. Not just the bottom bar, the map display also. Everything.

After a short while, the map reverts to it's normal colors.

At first, i thought that the Blue map screen was when it was trying to find satellites, but not sure of this correlation; it seems more random.

Any thoughts on ?

Thanks,
Bob

Can one just show or point to some location on a map, and see what its Lat and Lon are ?
Yes, if you're configured to do so. I'm just on my way out the door - here's hoping one of the other guys remembers the config sequence. You'll see the coordinates in black at the bottom of the map area of the screen.

b. Sometimes, when first turning on the unit, the screen has an overall Blue(ish) color. Not just the bottom bar, the map display also. Everything.

After a short while, the map reverts to it's normal colors.
No clue what that's about. Haven't ever seen it.

From the browse map screen select the options button at the bottom of the screen and select the Show Coordinates checkbox.

The different map colour when starting up is often due to the device not having a GPS position fix, it appears slightly greyed out in apperance until the device is happy it knows where it actually is - Mike

Thanks, MIke. Finally back.

I'm used to thinking of my units as more "gray" than "blue", but that's probably because I have the brightness all the way up most of the time. I'll bet you're 100% spot on with the 'no satellite lock yet' answer.

Yes, you can show or point to some location on a map, and see what its Lat and Lon are. Go to page 2 of the menu, and select Browse Map, then Set Marker Position. Find whatever you want on the Tomtom map, and position the cursor on top of it. In the lower left, the Lat and Lon are displayed. You can navigate to this point (if it’s on or very close to a street) by going to Navigate to>Point on map.

Go to page 2 of the menu, and select Browse Map, then Set Marker Position.

That bit's not necessary....

If you have "show coordinates" turned on in the options then it will always show the co-ords for the spot you point at with the blue cursor (by tapping the screen),

and once you've marked a place with the blue cursor, the "blue cursor button"** at the bottom allows you do do all sorts of useful things - such as navigate there, save it as a Favourite or POI, search for POIs nearby etc. etc.

** On latest models running Navcore 10 software, the blue cursor button at the bottom is replaced by a flag sticking out of the side of the cursor itself. Tap that to get to the same options.

From OP:

Hi All,

Just another thanks; would really be lost without all the help.
Great Forum.

Much appreciated.

Bob

Ask a Question