Largest SD expansion possible - SD or SDHC?

Hello, I have Sandisk Ultra II 2 GB Card. I copied some MP3 files into the root of the card but can't play them from Tomtom Go 920. Any trick?

Thanks
How did you copy your MP3 files on the SD card? I you just copied them directly in the root of SD card this is why it doesn't work; you need to create a folder called: MP3, and copy all your music files in that folder then Tomtom will play the music. Good luck. :)

8GB SD/HC card works in my GO920

I have an 8 gigabyte SD card running in my TomTom GO920. The card brand/mfg is Transend. It says SD/HC class 6 (it has the word "class" and a small number 6 inside a letter "C" - looks almost like an "@" sign)

My card reader didn't support SD/HC (wouldn't report the presence of a card), so I had to buy a new card reader that supports SD/HC).

When I put the card in the TomTom and the TomTom in the desktop cradle, TomTom HOME reported it as a 4GB card (3.76GB) and let me put music on it - worked fine, just not full capacity.

The new card reader arrived today. I used it to format the card and it now reports 8 GB both on the reader and on the TomTom. I currently have 1796 songs and 3 audiobooks on the card - about 7.5 GB. Works great - no problems. (It does take about 45 seconds when you first load music to catalog your titles)

Thanks for that info - 8GB SD/HC card works in my GO920

I have an 8 gigabyte SD card running in my TomTom GO920. The card brand/mfg is Transend. It says SD/HC class 6 (it has the word "class" and a small number 6 inside a letter "C" - looks almost like an "@" sign)

Thanks, ballast949 for that info. And thanks for letting us know that you are able to access the whole capacity too. I wonder now if the new 16GB SDHC cards might also work.
JSB :confused:

sd card sdhc

I have an 8g SDHC card and it works great i put over 7gig of mp3 and it'S not slowing down my tomtom
the brand of sdhc is topram :)

8GB SDHC Topram- TT720 or TT920?

I have an 8g SDHC card and it works great i put over 7gig of mp3 and it'S not slowing down my tomtom
the brand of sdhc is topram :)

Wooferman,
From your other posts on this topic elsewhere on this site, you have a TT720 (correct?), and had to use the 8GB Topram card reader to manipulate the contents of the 8GB Topram card? (You could not load files/manage files of the card using the card in the TT itself?)

So can you boot up the TT with the card inserted? Or do you have to insert the card after the TT has booted?

Thanks,
JSB :D

problems transferring music

I am trying to see the "E:" drive and it just will not show up on Windows explorer. Using Home, when I want to add music, after successfully docking my PC to my 920, the E drive I get an error E:\ is not accessable. I cannot get to it from my PC. If I grab a SD card and load it up with music using a doc station I can insert into my 920 and it will show and play all the music on it; just cannot get to the E drive from windows explorer either directly or thru home. Is there any setting in the 920 I have to enable to get to the SD card (which is the E drive)? Yes, the E drive shows up in windows explorer but it times out when I try to open it. :eek:

When you reboot the GO 920 and connect it to the computer, do you see 1 disk or two disk icons on the screen of the GO (you should see two)? What brand of SD cards are you using?
For me, I just inserted my SDHC 4GB in the GO, it showed up in Windows explorer, created the MP3 folder and started to copy music files on it. After that when re-connecting the GO to the computer, TomTom Home now ask which memory do I want to upgrade the internal or the SD card. I did not find of any setup in the GO to accept the SD card; it's just a plug in I guess and the system detects it.

I just bought a 920 T - It has a slot for SD memory but the manual doesn't refer to it as far as I can see to this point, and there was a small sticker over the slot (which is filled with a solid plastic 'dummy') which said something like "No memory needed").

Will memory SD cards work in the 920 T like they do in the 920?

Yes, 920T will take the same SD cards as 920

I just bought a 920 T - It has a slot for SD memory but the manual doesn't refer to it as far as I can see to this point, and there was a small sticker over the slot (which is filled with a solid plastic 'dummy') which said something like "No memory needed").

Will memory SD cards work in the 920 T like they do in the 920?

Yes, the same memory cards will work. All 920 and 920T's come with that sticker over the SD slot. The 920 and 920T are exactly the same units. The only difference being that the "T" model includes RDS-TMC traffic antenna and starter subscription.

OK - Thanks!

I'm new to these small GPS units. I have an old Mac 1400C laptop with Street Atlas and a GPS receiver from probably 10 years ago. It all still works, but is very slow and only good on trips with no passengers. The big screen is nice, but it's been a few years since I've done much traveling and used it.

Too bad the TomTom HOME app for the Mac PPC machines isn't fully functional.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I guess I have a new 'hobby' for a while.

Happy Holidays, by the way!

4gb sdhd cards are more of a challenge

In speaking with Tom Tom, they say the 4g cards work but because the memory hierarchy is more complicated they take more performance from the 920 to work. they also told me that the 920 is designed for class 2 cards; class 4 and 6 also work fine. What that means is the TT is designed for the slowest cards. So, as you know different MP3 files are compressed with different codecs and different compression rations. The challenge will be with more complex algorythms and higher bit rates.

For me I am going to use multiple 2G cards with audio compressed ~ 192Mbs max. anything lower will only be easier for the 920 to handle. Note that I have found the 920 to handle type 3 MP3 tags as well. If you knw what all this means then you are fine. If you do not, do not worry about it. Just glide on!
:D

8 Gb SDHC O.K. here

I have a new Go 920, and read someone else on Amazon Reviews was using 8GB SDHC. So I decided to try it, and it seems fine.

The catch to this is that the SD reader in the 920 won't format it more than 4GB, so before using, you will need to have a SDHC card reader (I'm using a Targus that is SDHC certified). Format to FAT32, will full capacity, create folders on the card (like mp3, Images, voices), and insert it in the unit.

I am able to access the mp3 files through the Tomtom Jukebox. Before our upcoming family vacation, I ripped four books on CD, putting them in separate folders within the mp3 folder on the SDHC card. They play back perfectly.

The 8GB SDHC card I'm using is a Transcend brand, which cost approx. $30.

Happy traveling!
Barry

Hello all,
I'll be receiving my new 920 any day now. Can anyone tell me the largest SD or SDHC I can go on my 920? Has 8gb SDHC worked for anyone?

Does the SDHC actually fully work for those who have used it, with all the manufacturer claimed SDHC storage actually available? I know that it isn't officially recognized as supported or compatible.

Do I just stay safe with the 4gb SD Sandisk Ultra II?

Thanks,
JSB

Boots for me w. 8GB SDHC

JSB, I am using a Transcend 8GB SDHC, formatted to full capacity with a Targus SDHC card reader. As reported by someone else, the 920 will only format the card as 4GB, but it's working fine at 8GB for me.

Barry

Wooferman,
From your other posts on this topic elsewhere on this site, you have a TT720 (correct?), and had to use the 8GB Topram card reader to manipulate the contents of the 8GB Topram card? (You could not load files/manage files of the card using the card in the TT itself?)

So can you boot up the TT with the card inserted? Or do you have to insert the card after the TT has booted?

Thanks,

Max Size Cards

Hi All. Newbie here although I am quite familiar with the workings of the tomtom range.

I just wondered if anyone knew whether the question posed here would apply to the tomtom go 520 as well. can we use the bigger cards in those too?

Thanks

"When you are up to your A**E in alligators its hard to remember the original job was to drain the swamp"

Hi All. Newbie here although I am quite familiar with the workings of the tomtom range.

I just wondered if anyone knew whether the question posed here would apply to the tomtom go 520 as well. can we use the bigger cards in those too?

Thanks

"When you are up to your A**E in alligators its hard to remember the original job was to drain the swamp"

using the last FW, the Go520 also supports SDHC cards from the bigger size.

--pilsit

Will GO 920 Support SDHC Cards?

With firmware 8.3, you can use greater than 4 gig sdhc cards in the Go series.

I was having problems installing a map to a 4Gb Kingston SDHC card. I have the latest application installed on the TomTom (I assume the application is the same as 'firmware') One TomTom tech rep told me that the 920 does not support SDHC. Is that incorrect?

Ask a Question