Large Vehicle Routing

Why doesn't TomTom have a setting for trucks, busses, or other large or heavy vehicles? I drive an 18 wheeler and it would be great to know if a low overpass or a 3 ton bridge were around the next bend!

I think they're working on it.

They indicated that a lot of truck drivers were marking such streets as closed, which is why they've been blocking MapShare updates that aren't validated by TomTom (even to those people who said they don't care about validation). So somehow that needs to be separated out.

If you really want your voice to be heard though, file a Support ticket with your suggestion.

I think they're working on it.

They indicated that a lot of truck drivers were marking such streets as closed, which is why they've been blocking MapShare updates that aren't validated by TomTom (even to those people who said they don't care about validation). So somehow that needs to be separated out.

If you really want your voice to be heard though, file a Support ticket with your suggestion.

That's why the final question during a Map Share correction asks if the change in permanent and valid for passenger cars - to avoid propagating changes that relate to vehicular restrictions as opposed to actual map errors.

It would be great if they could incorporate this ability in the future. As far as I know, Garmin is the only manufacturer that allows you to specify that your vehicle is a truck, or a bus, or some other type of vehicle. Unfortunately they don't provide (even when asked to do so) any information on how they define these vehicle types, so choosing the most appropriate type for your vehicle is a process of trial and error.

Unfortunately, vehicle classifications and roadway restrictions vary from one jurisdiction to another. In the US this usually occurs at the state level, but is sometimes city-based. I would love to see something that allows you to specify the length, width(?), height, weight of the vehicle, registered type (i.e. commercial, passenger), as well as hazardous materials info, and route you accordingly.

Low Clearance POI's

You can download POI files with various clearances from 12'4" to 13'2". The files are available in several different formats and can be easily converted to TT format.

Try the following site:

http://www.discoveryowners.com/cginfolinks.htm

Once downloaded and installed on the TT, you can set up for warnings well in advance of arriving at the obstruction. And I'm sure that you can utilize the POI list in planning a route.

LarryF

I've done exactly that for roadways that in NYC where commercial traffic is prohibited, and then set the warning to only appear if the POI is on my route. I originally planned on blocking traffic in both directions on these roads, but quickly discovered that this information gets wiped out with each map update. I also set the warning distance at the maximum to me more flexibility in rerouting.

Absent vehicle-specific settings on the device combined with roadway restrictions in the map data, a good way to handle this would be to have something like the opposite of a "route via" option, where planned routes could avoid specified POI categories such as "Passenger Vehicles Only", "Maximum Weight 3.5 Tons", "Clearance 13'6"", etc.

You can download POI files with various clearances from 12'4" to 13'2". The files are available in several different formats and can be easily converted to TT format.

Try the following site:

http://www.discoveryowners.com/cginfolinks.htm

Once downloaded and installed on the TT, you can set up for warnings well in advance of arriving at the obstruction. And I'm sure that you can utilize the POI list in planning a route.

LarryF
I am completely computer stupid. What do I need to do to put some of the info. from this link into my TT ? I pull a 40 foot 5th wheel trailer 13 feet tall and could really use this. Thanks for any help.

I am completely computer stupid. What do I need to do to put some of the info. from this link into my TT ? I pull a 40 foot 5th wheel trailer 13 feet tall and could really use this. Thanks for any help.

I have taken the liberty to convert the *.txt file (using MS Excel and POI Edit) and create a TomTom *.ov2 POI file. I also created some custom icons for the POIs

I can tell this list is NOT complete, but there are 424 entries in states such as Alaska, Arizona, Texas, and Florida....

All you need to do is download the following 3 files and copy them into your map folder of your TomTom (the folder will be called "North America" or "USA and Canada"):

> Right Click on the following and then select "save" or "save link as" <
Clear_12ft_4in.bmp
Clear_12ft_4in_X2.bmp
Clear_12ft_4in.ov2

I've done exactly that for roadways that in NYC where commercial traffic is prohibited, and then set the warning to only appear if the POI is on my route. [ ... ] I also set the warning distance at the maximum to me more flexibility in rerouting.

Absent vehicle-specific settings on the device combined with roadway restrictions in the map data, a good way to handle this would be to have something like the opposite of a "route via" option, where planned routes could avoid specified POI categories such as "Passenger Vehicles Only", "Maximum Weight 3.5 Tons", "Clearance 13'6"", etc.
We already have Avoid part of route

If you set a route, can you see those POIs when you click [Details] > Browse as text ?
If yes, you could than select that for Avoid part of route.

I have taken the liberty to convert the *.txt file (using MS Excel and POI Edit) and create a TomTom *.ov2 POI file. I also created some custom icons for the POIs

I can tell this list is NOT complete, but there are 424 entries in states such as Alaska, Arizona, Texas, and Florida....

All you need to do is download the following 3 files and copy them into your map folder of your TomTom (the folder will be called "North America" or "USA and Canada"):

Clear_12ft_4in.bmp
Clear_12ft_4in_X2.bmp
Clear_12ft_4in.ov2

Thank you. Greatly apprecieted

Clear_12ft_4in.bmp
Clear_12ft_4in_X2.bmp
Clear_12ft_4in.ov2

What did you use to convert the text file for the tomtom? There are a few I would like for my 720.

Edit: Nevermind, I missed where you said what you used. lol Now, where can I find this POI Edit app?

I dont meant to hijack this thread but once I have the text file, What do I do in Exel or whatever to make it so I can open it in poiedit so I can save it for the tomtom?

I dont meant to hijack this thread but once I have the text file, What do I do in Exel or whatever to make it so I can open it in poiedit so I can save it for the tomtom?

Hehehehehe.....I KNEW this was going to be the next question.

See my following example file:
http://home.comcast.net/~spheasant1/tomtom_help/IHOP_example.xls

1st column = LONGITUDE
2nd column = LATTITUDE
3rd column = NAME OF LOCATION

* Once the spreadsheet is complete, save it as an *.xml file
* Open POIEdit
* Close the popup window that appears by clicking the red X in the upper right of the popup
* Click FILE --> OPEN
* On the popup, under FILE OF TYPE, Click "Excel XML Format (*.xml)"
* Select the XML file you created and the list will appear in POIEdit
* Now click on FILE --> SAVE AS
* On the popup, under SAVE AS TYPE, Click "TomTom Binary(*.ov2)"
* Give your file a name and click SAVE
* Copy your new *.ov2 file into the maps directory on your TomTom (usually /USA_and_Canada or /North_America folders)

Last edited:
This is going to take me a while. lol

Thanks for the info though. :)

Edit: With the help from Birdman I managed to get the PIO for the Weigh Stations all converted. I will post em up in the correct place. :) Thank you. That wasnt as hard as I thought it would be.

Last edited:
Hey guys!!!! I was just making a map correction in my neighborhood by adding out speed limit, and look at the options it gave me when I was finished! I'm not sure if this has been posted, but this is EXACTLY what this thread was looking for!

dump708359455.jpg

dump708359456.jpg

To me this is a big deal now since it will help TomTom filter/separate out corrections better.

There's only one problem with the above. It asked me for it once but it hasn't asked me again. I can't find out how or if it's possible to change your initial choice.

Ask a Question