Lap Timer for TomTom?

The issue with using the TomTom or many other civil GPS systems for lap times is they only update once per second, so getting an accurate lap time to fractional seconds isn't really possible.

You can get small Bluetooth GPS dataloggers that can record at 5 or 10Hz which is a better option, at 100 miles per hour with a 1Hz update rate you only get positional data for every 146 feet travelled, a 10Hz logger gives you data for every 14 feet traveled so you get more accurate definition of the approach lines you took through corners etc.

For the track outline you can use Google Earth then overlay your track day data to the map, this is something I was doing at Mallory Park race circuit in the UK a few weeks ago, its quite surprising what a difference the different dataloggers have on the post track analysis. 20Hz receivers are available but these are rather costly - Mike

For the track outline you can use Google Earth then overlay your track day data to the map, this is something I was doing at Mallory Park race circuit in the UK a few weeks ago, its quite surprising what a difference the different dataloggers have on the post track analysis. 20Hz receivers are available but these are rather costly - Mike

And how would you go about doing this for my 720?

I would install "TripMaster" to my 720 and configure it to datalog where I have been see Here for more details.

That gets you the data for where you have been, or do you want to know how to use this sort of data with Google Earth? - Mke

Was just wondering how I can get my 720 to show the tracks I go to and to record some rough laptimes. Much cheaper than getting track data loggers.

Performance Box

I have a performance box from racelogic which does the job perfectly - it's ?280 for the basic unit and it's about the same size as a tom tom. It updates at 10Hz which is perfectly accurate - and I've found the software it comes with really useful too as it lets you look at your laps using google earth so you can see the lines you have taken. It also has a function to measure the real bhp on your car, but I haven't tried this yet!

Ask a Question