Lane Assist issue

Just purchased the 1535tm, connected to MyTomTom and got the latest application 10.156. , map vers. v860.3194, I've noticed a couple of odd things, as I'm approaching an intersection, sometimes the map will show that I need to turn left (or right), the voice command will say like wise, but the lane guidance will have two arrows, one pointing left and the other pointing right both of them highlighted??

Also on one of my routes as I approached the inter section, I it showed a left, right, up and down arrow, the right turn arrow was highlighted but the other three were greyed out, to the right of those arrows there were two more arrows pointing up that were grayed out. Also as I approach my turn the indicator will count down to 40' to turn, then go no further.

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i456/cccsdad1/th_TOMTOM1.jpg

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i456/cccsdad1/th_TOMTOM.jpg

Last edited:
Any chance you can copy the lat/ long of these locations on to this forum then we can take a look at the error and if need be notify TomTom as that sounds like a map error - Mike

35?20'08.40"N
97?29'54.79"W

35?20'03.28"N
97?29'40.62"W

This happened numerous other times at other locations, but I can't remember them all.

Is there a chance I just got a defective unit, or does this look like a mapping issue that will effect any 1535 I get?

There were significant lane guidance issues in map 860, as there was a bug in the conversion from Teleatlas maps to Tomtom maps.

This is fixed in map 865, I'll check your specific locations later today to see if it will be improved by the fix.

You will get a free update to map 865 once Tomtom enables the map updates for the VIA 1535, hopefully it will be soon.

Im going on vacation to Florida in one week,and I have no confidence in this unit. I guess there's no chance of an update by then. This is really BS, I pay for Lifetime Maps, then can't get them now,can't do mapshare, can't download POI's can't quick fix.TomTom says this product can do. Why on earth would TomTom release this product before they can even support it?

...Revenue.

Should have gotten the Garmin 1450lmt, it was $30 less and has received outstanding reviews. I know all GPS units will have an issue from time to time, but not being able to rely on routes should not be one of them. I paid 230.00 for this unit, the lane assist doesn't work, I can't utilize half the selling point features of the unit, so to me it's worthless. I really wanted to like this unit, but TomTom will not let me.

I've add photos of the issue I'm having to my initial post if you guys would care to take a look and give me your opinion.

First screen looks like an indication for a left turn, followed immediately by a right turn. Would have been interesting to have seen what was going on in a 2D map view at the time.

I would say the first image is correct, "turn left then take third on the right"
The second image looks like the typical error mvl mentioned above - Mike

the verbal instructions say turn left then take the 3rd right, so I think you're right because if you look at the right turn arrow, there are two grayed out bars just below it, I still have no idea what the other symbol is or is trying to tell me.

You mean the triangle? Consider that it is saying 'then'

just spoke to tomtom, they had a via unit as well and put in the same route, and saw the same thing. they told me the other symbol is basically saying that I will pass two more streets before turning right. She said the two grey arrows pointing up indicate that I will go up two more streets, then turn right, that is why the right turn arrow is highlighted.

Seems like it would make more sense to just have the right turn arrow with the two gayed out lines below it like in the first image. What do you think? Are they shooting me straight or BSing me?

I checked the first pic, and it is proper behavior. It means turn left, the triangle means "then", and then it says to take the 3rd right.

The second pic is the map 860 conversion bug, the turn arrow is accurate, but is in the wrong lane. It only affects 90? turns so it won't affect highway drives. This is fixed in map 865, your map 860 is from November 2010 so its otherwise not too old. Tomtom usually publishes updates the last week of the month so theres a good chance this will be fixed before your trip.

Quickgpsfix seems to be working fine now, though Tomtom hasn't yet announced it, just connect to your computer and accept the update. POI loading and map self-editing are also working.

will I be able to find a poi on line then download it to my device? Not sure how to do that?
If you were already using TomTom Home you must have had a previous TomTom unit, and you'll already be familiar with picking up POI files (a combination of an *.ov2 file and an associated icon as a *.bmp file). The only difference is the user interface when you are using MyTomTom. You upload the *.ov2 and the *.bmp files using MyTomTom one at a time. The file format isn't any different than what you've seen before. In fact, if you had POI files from your previous unit, you can use those.

Last edited:
The preinstalled POI on the new Tomtom maps are among the best in the business in the USA, so you may not need 3rd party POI any longer.

If you want to get more, you can go to sites like Poifactory.com, and download files in Tomtom ov2 format. Then you can use the "add shared POI" option on the MyTomtom app to load them from your computer to your VIA.

The preinstalled POI on the new Tomtom maps are among the best in the business in the USA, so you may not need 3rd party POI any longer.

If you want to get more, you can go to sites like Poifactory.com, and download files in Tomtom ov2 format. Then you can use the "add shared POI" option on the MyTomtom app to load them from your computer to your VIA.

Sorry, to bother you, but how do I download to TomTom ov2 format, not sure what that is? Can I download a location from say google maps to that type of format?

Ask a Question