Lakes and Rivers

I go camping and boating a lot. Does the map software for tomtom (particularly the tomtom ONE) include lakes and rivers? If so, does it have much detail (like where marinas are, etc.)? Thanks!

I think the One is more geared for car navigation. I think Garmin makes units more suited for camping, hiking, boating, etc. - not that I want to steer you away from the One. It depends on it's primary use I guess.

I've had my One a month and I love it for getting me where I need to go.....in my car.

If you use the North America maps on the ONE (and you'd have to order the $6 upgrade DVD) you'll see bodies of water. I'm sure you could add marinas as a POI, I'm not sure if those are included or not. I've never searched for one. But I do see lakes/ponds/bodies of water on my map.

If you use the North America maps on the ONE (and you'd have to order the $6 upgrade DVD) you'll see bodies of water. I'm sure you could add marinas as a POI, I'm not sure if those are included or not. I've never searched for one. But I do see lakes/ponds/bodies of water on my map.

so the upgrade maps are more detailed in general?

Just realize that the bodies of water have no names, and that the TomTom won't let you navigate off-road. It is designed to 'snap' to the nearest road.

For camping and boating, I think you need an old-fashioned hand-held GPS.

so the upgrade maps are more detailed in general?

Everyone made such a big deal about the NA maps being better, but it looks about the same to me as the original USA/Canada maps that came on OEM card. Of course I only used the One for about 3 weeks before "upgrading", but the lakes and ponds around here look the same as before. I don't see what all the hoopla is about.............

I have a POI for lakes, tried to upload it, but couldn't. It's only 1.8M in zipped form. Every time I tried , I got a database error message.

Ask a Question