LAck of memory in the XXL540s

I have an ongoing 'discussion' w/Tom Tom re the size of the updated maps vs. the size of the on-board memory vs. the restrictions placed by Tom Tom on how the revised maps can be downloaded. As soon as the first updated maps came out (about a month after I bought the 540s) the unit was useless for international travel (the reason I bought it) because it could no longer hold both the US and Euro maps in memory at the same time. This is disgusting! Not only that, Tom Tom's answer is you have to remove the map you are using to your computer, then download the updated map into your Tom Tom. Then, when you want to change maps, you download the one in the Tom Tom to your computer and upload the one you want from your computer to your TomTom. This process takes a long long time and is extraordinarily tedious. Why can't Tom Tom, at the VERY LEAST, allow me to download updated maps directly into my laptop?

They really do NOT seem to be very interested in resolving this issue and apparently only want me to buy a 'new' model, with a larger (again, probably fixed in size) memory - which, it is easy to guess, will be just large enough to hold both current maps, and not large enough to accept the 'updated' maps. And so their sales process continues.

I'm going over to the Italian AvMap G6 device. It is more expensive but it is Customer Friendly, where Tom Tom is just plain greedy.

Following is my reply to their 'relocate, download, relocate, move, and don't bother us again' email:-

The procedure proposed by your reply I already knew. It is tiresome and VERY VERY time consuming. If you want me to continue using Tom Tom something else needs to be done.

1. When I purchased the XXL540s it had BOTH Europe AND U.S./Canada maps loaded.
2. The new issue of maps are so large individually that they cannot be loaded and available at the same time.
3. The XXL540s does not have an SD card and relies solely on non expandable on board memory.
4. To retain the international functionality of the Tom Tom XXL540s it MUST be able to have both US and Euro maps loaded at the SAME TIME, otherwise it is USELESS.
5. The solutions to this problem are:
a) Make the maps small enough to fit into the onboard memory together
b) Make the XXL 540s with an SD slot and recall and replace XXL540s that do not have an SD slot.
c) At the VERY LEAST, permit downloading new maps DIRECTLY into a laptop computer or workstation, WITHOUT having to go through the XXL540s first.

The current methods available are COMPLETELY unacceptable and will absolutely prevent my further use of your product as an international travel aid. I will use AvMap instead.

Sincerely
etc

Wolfpaw -

TT has improved the maps; and added more info. So, yes - they no longer fit. Lots of people upset, and :mad:

You can find out more info by searching this forum on your model number and European maps, North American maps, etc.

The following is one post which sort of discusses what you are experiencing...

https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom...007-xl-live-iq-routes-how-get-europe-map.html

No quick and easy answer, other than purchasing a unit with an external SD slot.... sorry.

D.

Then, when you want to change maps, you download the one in the Tom Tom to your computer and upload the one you want from your computer to your TomTom. This process takes a long long time and is extraordinarily tedious. Why can't Tom Tom, at the VERY LEAST, allow me to download updated maps directly into my laptop?

Not so.....
You CAN download all the map zones to your laptop in advance and quickly swap them over onto the TomTom when you need them.

Swap european with usa maps

My TT One has no card and has insufficient memory to accommodate both maps.

Swapping my USA map with the European map was easy. I backed up the USA map and downloaded the Europeon map from TT.

Now I wish to replace the European map with the USA map on my harddrive.

Two questions:

1. Why does TT Home provide no option to swap maps?
2. How do I swap maps in my TT One with no card?

Many thanks,

John

Various options on the unit are not available in Home. But I think that Manage Maps-->Switch maps does work on the emulator if you have two maps installed. Could be wrong, though.

With the TT One, you'd copy the existing map to the computer (use Explorer). Also, copy the folder called map to the computer as well if you have one.

Once you are SURE the backed up map folders are on the computer....

Then install the second map from the computer to the unit. Should be able to install it. (Use Add Voices/maps and right arrow till Items on my computer, maps.... and select the one you wish to install).

Ask a Question