Kuda, ProClip or Arkon friction mount?

I just got my Tom Tom 730T and I know I don't want to use the windshield suction cup mount - and I don't want to drill/mar my dash on my GMC Yukon XL.

I'm looking at the Kuda mounts - and the ProClip mounts - they seem nice but ultimately - I'm looking at $100ish for either system. Not out of the question but still a good deal of money. I came across the Arkon friction mount and wondered what folks thought about that one vs. something like the Kuda or ProClip.

I'm a pretty fussy guy about my vehicle so I want a clean install without a bunch of wires everywhere so I'm not sure I'd be happy with a friction mount.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Bill

Arkon all the way

I'm real happy with my Arkon suction cup, which I have attached to an unbranded friction sandbag mount in one car and on a mounting plate I have pinched into a dashboard seam on my other car. As for wires... yes, that's a problem, and if you have the traffic kit like I do, wires are a fact of life. I could hide them but since I go back and forth between cars, I can't really put them under the dash. I didn't have to drill anything though, which is a plus.

Unlike the OEM suction cup, the Arkon has a little locking clip which increases the suction under the cup (just like Magellan OEM mounts). It's very, very stable. I've been using it several months, and have only had it come off when I unlock it and pull it off.

I bought one of the following Arkon Mounts from Ebay and I'm VERY happy with it:

9e45_35.JPG

Thanks for the replies guys.

As much as I'd like to go with a friction - I just don't think I'll be happy with it. The window mount puts the Tom Tom way too far away in my beast of a truck and I'm a fussbudget about wires and stuff.

I ordered the Kuda Mount that installs above the center vent on my dash - if anyone has an interest in how it turns out I'd be happy to post pics once it arrives and I install it.

Bill

Thanks for the replies guys.

As much as I'd like to go with a friction - I just don't think I'll be happy with it. The window mount puts the Tom Tom way too far away in my beast of a truck and I'm a fussbudget about wires and stuff.

I ordered the Kuda Mount that installs above the center vent on my dash - if anyone has an interest in how it turns out I'd be happy to post pics once it arrives and I install it.

Bill
I went with a friction mount as I like to have the unit closer to eye level when I am driving. I don't like having to look down at my vent to see the unit. The friction mount has worked pretty well for me except for when I jam really hard on the brakes or take a turn faster than I should.

Ask a Question