Keep to the left

I was using the TomTom for my first major trip since buying it. I decided to go to my sister's, which is about 100 km (60 miles). While on a busy highway, I kept getting voice messages to keep left (stay on the highway).
On the same highway, but in an area where there are less off-ramps and less congestion, these voice messages stopped happening.
What I want to know is, why doesn't the TomTom just tell me how far I have to go before my next turn or exit, rather than tell me how far I have to go before I don't turn next?
And why was there a difference between certain parts of the same highway in regard to voice instructions? Does the map actually specify whether to give voice instructions or not, depending on the individual location?

I was using the TomTom for my first major trip since buying it. I decided to go to my sister's, which is about 100 km (60 miles). While on a busy highway, I kept getting voice messages to keep left (stay on the highway).
On the same highway, but in an area where there are less off-ramps and less congestion, these voice messages stopped happening.
What I want to know is, why doesn't the TomTom just tell me how far I have to go before my next turn or exit, rather than tell me how far I have to go before I don't turn next?
And why was there a difference between certain parts of the same highway in regard to voice instructions? Does the map actually specify whether to give voice instructions or not, depending on the individual location?

Let's say you're on a highway and you will be staying on it for, say, 20 km. But, 12 km along, there is an exit where some lanes branch off to the right. You are warned to 'stay left' in order to stay on the main highway route. If there is only an exit with one lane branching off, you are not normally warned, as it would be obvious to keep on the main highway, anyway.

I can think of lots of locations on major highways where I reside (Toronto) such as on the 401 and 407 where, for someone not knowing the highway system, this guidance confirmation message ('stay left') would be of assistance.

In fact, as I understand it, a feature of the x30 models is that a picture appears on screen to visually show what lane the driver should be in at a significant splitting of lanes (you know, 'a picture is worth a 1000 'stay lefts' :) )

Let's say you're on a highway and you will be staying on it for, say, 20 km. But, 12 km along, there is an exit where some lanes branch off to the right. You are warned to 'stay left' in order to stay on the main highway route. If there is only an exit with one lane branching off, you are not normally warned, as it would be obvious to keep on the main highway, anyway.

I can think of lots of locations on major highways where I reside (Toronto) such as on the 401 and 407 where, for someone not knowing the highway system, this guidance confirmation message ('stay left') would be of assistance.

In fact, as I understand it, a feature of the x30 models is that a picture appears on screen to visually show what lane the driver should be in at a significant splitting of lanes (you know, 'a picture is worth a 1000 'stay lefts' :) )

Well, it was in Toronto (and Kitchener), so I guess that is what it is trying to say. I would think most people (in NA) would stay to the left until told otherwise, when following a highway.

I am in the UK and my TT one XL does the same, except "Keep right". This is like dhn says, it's always on motorways where the slip road (off ramps) merge just to stop you wandering off!

Boardboy

Ask a Question