Keep the 2505TM or return it???

Hi All

I recently bought the 2505 at BestBuy. I was originally going to pickup the 1350LMT or 1390LMT, but found the 2505 for the same price as the 1390. So it became an impulse buy because I thought I was getting a better bang for the buck with the 2505. The screen is nice, and the magnetic mount is sweet. This is my first GPS and thought it would be great to have on my family's up coming road trips to Ottawa, Montreal, and NYC. But after reading some of the posts here I'm concerned about not having an updated map, and wonder how well will TT support this product.

I still have time to return it, and test it out in the mean time, but wanted to get opinions from people that have had this model for a while and people's experience with TT in general. What do you guys think? Should I return it or keep it?

Thanks
Mig

Tomtom prioritizes and supports it's latest application line on GO models for about 2 years after the line is launched. So the GO2505 and all the app 10.x GO models will be a #1 priority for Tomtom for at least the next 18 months.

Map updates will probably be supported for at least 5 years, as Tomtom has not yet discontinued map updates for its earliest 2005 PNDs.

The problems here are that the GO2505 was released before it was ready, to meet the holiday selling season. Therefore many of the promised features are not yet built. The model will definitely be Tomtom's #1 priority for all promised updates (maps, voices, mapshare, itinerary planning).

It probably won't get many newer features beyond the ones promised above. For new features you'd need to buy a newer model.

POI updates were launched a couple of weeks ago, speed cameras were added a few weeks before that. Knowing Tomtom, I expect another promised feature to be launched every 2-4 weeks (maps are probably next) until Tomtom has met all its GO2505 commitments.

Last edited:
From TT's press release announcing the 1000 series:

"The software and service delivery platform have been optimised for rapid integration of third party applications and easy localisation to match the needs of specific markets or applications. The back end server systems have been completely redesigned, allowing effortless delivery of rich content and downloadable applications, via cable or over the air. All this also makes the TomTom GO LIVE 1000 future proof."

That was nearly a year ago. Not exactly true, was it?

Ask a Question