Just 'what' is the 'special' file they want to download?

At every turn of entering the tomtom website it says:
Note: we must download a 'special' file to your computer before you can access.

I am fed up with products that download bundled junk to your computer when required registration is requested to use the product. Which in most cases is browser add-ons that corrupt the computer.

NO WHERE in the site does it tell you just WHAT this 'special 'file is that they want you to give access to your computer for downloading.

Can someone point me in the direction of a definition of this file, and why they won't tell you what it is?

thanks

strange....I never remember ANYTHING having to be downloaded to use the TomTom website.

The only special download I remember is the file(s) needed to operate the TomTom device from the computer using the HOME application.

PSJ aka Marc

<Snip> The only special download I remember is the file(s) needed to operate the TomTom device from the computer using the HOME application.

Same here... and that's only the first time I wanted to use 'HOME'.

I'm pretty sure the special file in question is the additional software needed to simulate "operate my GO" which allows to simulate most TT NavCore operations while connected thru Home.

The file they are referring to (when using TomTom Home) is a DLL file that is specific to the version of the TomTom software installed on your device. If, when you operate your device via home, you don't have the DLL corresponding to your device's software version, Home will download if from TomTom.

I too wish they were a bit less cryptic with their message, but my suspicion is that they are just dumbing down the message for the masses.

The file they are referring to (when using TomTom Home) is a DLL file that is specific to the version of the TomTom software installed on your device. If, when you operate your device via home, you don't have the DLL corresponding to your device's software version, Home will download if from TomTom.
Sure, but every time? My ONE's version doesn't change daily (or even hourly). So why re-re-download the dll?

Not only that, but my work PC, which has the same version of Home, never prompts for this download--same OS, same user rights, same TomTom device.

Not that it was your idea... :p

Sure, but every time? My ONE's version doesn't change daily (or even hourly). So why re-re-download the dll?

Do you have an up to date version of HOME installed....I have to download this file after every time I update home. I had a version of HOME a few months ago that downloaded the file every time I tried to operate through HOME. I was very glad to see that version go away.

(Perhaps something else was going on that was triggering this, but it seemed to me to be a problem in a version of HOME.)

Do you have an up to date version of HOME installed....I have to download this file after every time I update home. I had a version of HOME a few months ago that downloaded the file every time I tried to operate through HOME. I was very glad to see that version go away.

(Perhaps something else was going on that was triggering this, but it seemed to me to be a problem in a version of HOME.)
I agree, this probably is an installation issue. I think I have version .104 on the problem machine at home. Previously it used version .94 I've had to reinstall Home numerous times on that PC--it just stops working. Usually when it stops, I receive an error message on attempting to launch the app.

Contrast that with my work PC, onto which I've only installed Home once. (I've held this one to version .94, until the MapShare issues are worked out.) Plus, it stopped bugging me about that "mysterious file" months ago, possibly after the first time I acknowledged it.

Both are running WinXP sp3. Who knows? ::shrug:: :confused:

I agree, this probably is an installation issue. I think I have version .104 on the problem machine at home. Previously it used version .94 I've had to reinstall Home numerous times on that PC--it just stops working. Usually when it stops, I receive an error message on attempting to launch the app.

Contrast that with my work PC, onto which I've only installed Home once. (I've held this one to version .94, until the MapShare issues are worked out.) Plus, it stopped bugging me about that "mysterious file" months ago, possibly after the first time I acknowledged it.

Both are running WinXP sp3. Who knows? ::shrug:: :confused:

It's not SP3; I've got SP3 running everywhere and haven't had that problem. ...but yes, downloading that file every time Operate My GO / Operate My Device was a problem in one or two of the 2.3.x releases. I haven't seen that in HOME 2.4.x.

You would think every time there is a new Home update, the required file for the emulator would be part of the package. You would think .... :confused:

Ask a Question