Just Registered!

Just join here and hopefully I can lean how to use my new tomtom better.

I got a 325 XL for Christmas and tried to use it to go a friends house but it was not recognized,too new of address I guess.
And on the way home I had my address in and it said I had reached my destination 4 house too early,also,I went a different way and it said to take a different road that would have taken me out of the way.
I did figure out how to use Lat. and Lon. as a destination,but I have to get them off the computer first.

Anyway,I'm glad that I can be apart of this forum and as I learn how to use my first GPS and maybe I could help others later on using theirs.

Thanks,

Welcome to TTF! Hope you read the announcement at the top of the forum about new user tips, especially the first one about making an Explorer backup!

Don't worry about TomTom thinking your house is 4 away from reality. (mine shows 8 houses away! :) ).

Actual house addresses are not stored in the maps, only approximations. For example, if the map has an address range from 100 to 200 for a road segment and the segment is 1000 feet long, and there are 10 houses in that range, it approximates a new address every 100 feet. If, in fact, the frontage is not consistent from house to house, the accuracy will be off.

As you (correctly) point out, you can establish your house via lat/long and then the 'Home' location will be accurate.

There is a philosophy espoused by some to NEVER show your accurate house location. If the unit does get stolen, you don't want an indicator of where your house actually is.

No I didn't read that stuff but I will.I hope I did it right.I just made a new folder and copied & pasted files from TT to the folder,that's the way I thought it said to do it.

Ask a Question