Just Recovered My 720- Learned Some Things...

Do you risk making problems worse before seeking support?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
TomTom Model(s)
Hey Folks:

Gawd... did I do some really DUMB things recently with my 720. Problem started when I tried to backup... I received an error and submitted the problem to tech support. They are WAY behind in helping, so I decided to "help myself". :eek:

Ultimately, I used the "manage my GO" and explorer to delete ALL files (hidden and not) from my computer and the 720 device. I figured I'd start "clean" and used the tool to clear flash memory as well. Gang... unless you are specifically asked to do this, I really DON'T recommend this method of starting over. I did first try the "reset to default" instructions, but kept getting a frozen initial picture screen.

Anyway... I ultimately kept downloading, via the TT Home software, the application files, etc. and got to the point where I got the "no map available" message. I used the "manual map install" as given by one of the Super Moderators, then after a final round of "updating my device" I'm once again operational.

Things I've learned:

- don't ever delete all the files on the 720 unless you have a "good" backup to restore. If you think "updating your GO" is gonna simply reinstall everthing correctly, you are WRONG!

- (my opinion here) don't change lots of settings via the "operate my GO" screen in TT Home... do it directly on the device.

- be careful which files you delete on your hard drive... even though they may seem expendable/wasteful, this caused me problems (ie, old application versions, voices, POI's, etc.) In the future, I'm just going to leave them alone! I've spent HOURS trying to restore my 720 and got darned lucky I was successful.

Even now, I'm guessing that I messed up certain "system" folders on the go... ie, I noticed in a post on here that there is a /ephem folder that should hold "quickfix" satellite locator files, but it wasn't on my device. I've added it and tried updating, but I'm still NOT receiving the QuickFix file. Can anyone suggest a fix for this? Also... if you are aware of anything else that I've potentially screwed up, please let me know- THANKS!

Hey Folks:

Gawd... did I do some really DUMB things recently with my 720. Problem started when I tried to backup... I received an error and submitted the problem to tech support. They are WAY behind in helping, so I decided to "help myself". :eek:

Ultimately, I used the "manage my GO" and explorer to delete ALL files (hidden and not) from my computer and the 720 device. I figured I'd start "clean" and used the tool to clear flash memory as well. Gang... unless you are specifically asked to do this, I really DON'T recommend this method of starting over. I did first try the "reset to default" instructions, but kept getting a frozen initial picture screen.

Anyway... I ultimately kept downloading, via the TT Home software, the application files, etc. and got to the point where I got the "no map available" message. I used the "manual map install" as given by one of the Super Moderators, then after a final round of "updating my device" I'm once again operational.

Things I've learned:

- don't ever delete all the files on the 720 unless you have a "good" backup to restore. If you think "updating your GO" is gonna simply reinstall everthing correctly, you are WRONG!

- (my opinion here) don't change lots of settings via the "operate my GO" screen in TT Home... do it directly on the device.

- be careful which files you delete on your hard drive... even though they may seem expendable/wasteful, this caused me problems (ie, old application versions, voices, POI's, etc.) In the future, I'm just going to leave them alone! I've spent HOURS trying to restore my 720 and got darned lucky I was successful.

Even now, I'm guessing that I messed up certain "system" folders on the go... ie, I noticed in a post on here that there is a /ephem folder that should hold "quickfix" satellite locator files, but it wasn't on my device. I've added it and tried updating, but I'm still NOT receiving the QuickFix file. Can anyone suggest a fix for this? Also... if you are aware of anything else that I've potentially screwed up, please let me know- THANKS!

and welcome to our forum.

Ask a Question