Just received my GO 720

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
Well I finally got it in the mail today, and had to call tech support 3 times because it wouldn't allow me to add it to my account since it said it can only be activated once every 6 months. I called TomTom, and they reset the device for me. I opened up HOME and it worked ok. I close Home, re-open, and again it gives me the same message saying I cant activate it again. Keeps showing my old ONE XL. They reset it again, it works again, and closing and reopening again caused the same problem

Tech support said they are having trouble with their servers on reactivating devices and said it would be a few days untill they can do this for me. I asked if I could use a new email address and they said it should work that way. So I registered new email and all is well.

VR worked out of the box. The unit came with map 710 and app 7.22. I backed up everything and now updating the device as I type this. Before I started updating I backed up the device, then moved the map from internal to my blank 4 GB sd card so that way the device will automatically start updating to the SD card rather than the internal memory. Everything good so far.

One thing is that this device stinks! Litterally! It smells bad. Hopefully the smell will go away after a while.

Sounds like your off to a good start :D

NOTE : keep in mind that if you update the navcore to the 8.010 you may end up having the reboot/restart problems many of us had/have.

8.002 is rock solid !

If you do decide to update the navcore to the version 8 series....I would suggest 8.002 ;) ....TT HOME won't offer it to you since 8.010 is out....but you can get it from TT here.

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/navcore_8.002.9117.gox30.cab

Enjoy your new toy:)

Well apparently TomTom Home was acting up after I moved the map to the SD card. The 720 worked just fine with the map MOVED to the SD card, but when it came to download updates in Home, it would freak out and would start repeatedly asking me to disconnect and reconnect and it wasn't doing anything each time.

I also noticed that it also installed the OS to the memory card. All this was with navcore 7, which I'm assuming is weird when it comes to maps on SD card and OS on internal. Home wasn't liking it, so what I did was, I moved EVERYTHING to the SD card and deleted everything from the internal memory. NOW the updates are installing just fine and now have Navcore 8. Bout to download the new map 810 as well. I'll report back.

Sounds like your off to a good start :D

NOTE : keep in mind that if you update the navcore to the 8.010 you may end up having the reboot/restart problems many of us had/have.

8.002 is rock solid !

If you do decide to update the navcore to the version 8 series....I would suggest 8.002 ;) ....TT HOME won't offer it to you since 8.010 is out....but you can get it from TT here.

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/navcore_8.002.9117.gox30.cab

Enjoy your new toy:)

Ohh NOW you respond lol! Yea! I was having the restart problems as you were typing your message. I fixed it all by moving everything to the SD card and deleting everything from internal memory. All is well. About to do Latest Map Guarantee and hope it works. I was getting this with navcore 7 though. I don't mind keeping everything on the SD card. It's running pretty peppy/fast. I'll dump my MP3's on the internal memory. Will also get VR to work after installing map 810 by doing the hack thingy.

Edit: It keeps telling me my device already has the latest map when I hit LMG. I'll keep trying for a while, but if it doesn't work, I'll call TomTom back tomorrow since they are closed now.

Last edited:
( don't know if you use the windshield mount ? )

The factory windshield mount that comes included is kinda crap....so watch out !....make sure it's stuck on real well....and give it a little push every-so-often....just to be safe !

I just ordered a new aftermarket mount....Arkon TT115....it will be here in a few days....I'll let yo know how it works out if your interested.

( don't know if you use the windshield mount ? )

The factory windshield mount that comes included is kinda crap....so watch out !....make sure it's stuck on real well....and give it a little push every-so-often....just to be safe !

I just ordered a new aftermarket mount....Arkon TT115....it will be here in a few days....I'll let yo know how it works out if your interested.

I ordered one of these last week. I also ordered an OEM TomTom 720 case which will be here tomorow according to UPS.

http://www.semsons.com/miwipewiswti3.html

It's the same as my Magellan mount. I love it since it uses a lever that tightens/pulls on the suction cup. It's nearly impossible to pull off the mount without physically breaking the hard plastic.

I still have VR enabled (without modifying anything) after upgrading to NavCore 8. I'm sure I'll lose it once I upgrade map 810 tomorrow, but I'll be doing the hack to re-enable it anyways. VR works beautifully. I just wish it was more useful by allowing POI voice recognition instead of just address entry.

I notice this 720 loses reception very quickly vs. my ONE XL. It quickly regains the signal but also loses it pretty fast. This is while being inside my house though. I'm sure I'll have no problems outside.

Last edited:
I have that mount as well. I became tired of picking the factory mount off the floorboards every couple of miles! Hard to believe but the 720's mount was even worse than my ONE's. So I bought one of those from Semsons. It uses a ball joint for universal positioning & works great!

Much better than this one: http://www.semsons.com/wipewipanswd3.html which has pre-set slots (gear teeth) for its side-to-side adjustments--not so great when its "centered" position is 'almost, but not quite front-facing.'

I have that mount as well. I became tired of picking the factory mount off the floorboards every couple of miles! Hard to believe but the 720's mount was even worse than my ONE's. So I bought one of those from Semsons. It uses a ball joint for universal positioning & works great!

Much better than this one: http://www.semsons.com/wipewipanswd3.html which has pre-set slots (gear teeth) for its side-to-side adjustments--not so great when its "centered" position is 'almost, but not quite front-facing.'

Hey Ricochet, did your 720 smell? I wouldn't say it smells like a "new device" smell, it just has some other strong odor. Again, I'm sure it will go away eventually, but did yours smell?

And I was sad that the refurbished tomtoms don't come packaged like brand new ones do. I was looking forward to open the second box inside the big box. Mainly because I saw a few "New 720" unboxing videos lol.

And boy, this thing drains battery fast!

Also, the condition of this refurb unit is pretty good I guess. I mean, my refurb ONE XL from CompUSA looked 100% brand new whereas this 720 looks 92% new. It comes with the screen sticker and all but, the dock had some stuff in it I had to clean out. It looked like chocolate or something.. And since this unit has sort of a vinyl covering on the back, you can see grease prints on it pretty easilly (Was eating chips and already finger printed the 720 lol)

I've updated everything as of now except for the map. I have already created a PDF of my receipt for when I call TomTom tomorrow morning.

I can't stress enough how quick the device performs even with EVERYTHING loaded on the SD card. Bout to try out TomPlayer just for the heck of it. I'll prolly remove it later on anyways.

I had the same issue with the account in home... I just created a new account with a different email address for the 720 and it worked perfectly... TT told me that sine I had a One already that it would cause problems to have them on the same account.

Ask a Question