Just need further confirmation before I download a map...

TomTom Model(s)
One 2nd Edition
Hey guys.

Even after searching, I just wanted to make sure that if I download the GO 920's North American map from the UK site, and delete the speech files for voice input as another member suggested to get the size under 2GB for my card, since the One doesn't have voice recognition, it will work on my One 2nd Edition, right?

I just wanted to make sure by asking again before I go and spend the money, since they have the 50% off sale right now for the maps, and I would like to have the more detailed North American maps.

Also, since the sale is only on until January 31, would the sale still apply to the supposed release of new maps for the 920 before the month end, or would TomTom try and sneak in the new maps at full price, and keep the older map around at the 50% off price?

Thanks!

Hey guys.

Even after searching, I just wanted to make sure that if I download the GO 920's North American map from the UK site, and delete the speech files for voice input as another member suggested to get the size under 2GB for my card, since the One doesn't have voice recognition, it will work on my One 2nd Edition, right?

Thanks!
Yes the map should still work and fit. the speech files are around 470MB of space.

What speech files are we talking about here. :confused: What exact file would you have to delete?

I was just ready to download the Go700 NA map which fits on the 2gb card

I want the NA map also and have the 2GB card but just waiting for the new .160 version to hit over in the UK as it stil is the .157 because of the size as the new .160 is only 1.5gb and it still shown the download as 1749 which would be about 1.8

Last edited:
I think the files were in the cs_speech folder or something like that (I've never seen the file structure myself and am just going on memory from reading another post last night).

What version of maps are on the site for the 920 right now? I couldn't find anywhere to say what version the map is, other than being 7.10.

I think I read the 920 series new 160 map will be released later this month so it would be the older 157 map and the 700 map is the older version also. The UK site does not have the newest maps yet from what I can see by the file size. The new 700 .160 map is only 1.5gb and the one listed is almost 1.8

Last edited:
What speech files are we talking about here. :confused: What exact file would you have to delete?

I was just ready to download the Go700 NA map which fits on the 2gb card

I want the NA map also and have the 2GB card but just waiting for the new .160 version to hit over in the UK as it stil is the .157 because of the size as the new .160 is only 1.5gb and it still shown the download as 1749 which would be about 1.8

In the NA Map folder (7.10) is included a cspeech_state.dat file for each state and Canada. To make the map fit onto my unit, I had to delete the .dat files for all states I figured I would never use the unit in. For example, Texas' file is 43 megs in size.

In the NA Map folder (7.10) is included a cspeech_state.dat file for each state and Canada. To make the map fit onto my unit, I had to delete the .dat files for all states I figured I would never use the unit in. For example, Texas' file is 43 megs in size.
So the cspeech_state.dat files, what do those do, exactly?

So the cspeech_state.dat files, what do those do, exactly?

Well, let's say you're driving in California and using your unit. The cspeech_CA.dat file will allow a computer voice to verbally announce street names, exits, etc.

Well, let's say you're driving in California and using your unit. The cspeech_CA.dat file will allow a computer voice to verbally announce street names, exits, etc.
Oh okay, and since the One doesn't say street names, there's no point in keeping those files on the One then, right, since the One only says to turn right, etc.

You will not be able to do this. TT Home will not let you download the maps unless it sees a destination drive (internal or SD) large enough to hold the maps. You need to get a 4 GB SD card and download them to that. Borrow one from someone. Download and install the maps to the SD card. Do a backup via home. Then you cane more things around.

Ask a Question